Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Subaru Outback 2011: convertible car seat?

We have a 2011 Subaru Outback and are having a terrible time finding a convertible car seat that fits securely in the rear-facing position. It seems like the latch system does not allow for a good fit. Does anyone have any suggestions or a car seat to recommend for this make/model? Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Subaru Outback 2011: convertible car seat?

Welcome.

Do you have just one child in the back?

Just about anything will fit. If you are having troubles with LATCH, then don't use it. It's not safer than the seatbelt, just supposed to be easier. And you can't use LATCH in the center of your car anyway.

I'd look at the Graco My Ride, Evenflo Triumph 65, Learning Curve True Fit (only has a 35 pound rear facing weight limit. You didn't say how old or heavy your child is), Safety 1st Complete Air, and Sunshine Kids Radians.

Also, keep in mind that at an age when a child is outgrowing an infant seat, they don't need a 45 degree angle anymore, so your child can sit more upright in the back. The Complete Air is having a tiff right now where Safety 1st says it needs the line to level on it for any age, but they also say that it passes testing more upright and that kids are safer more upright. So I'm comfortable using it more upright. Whether or not you are is up to you.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

I agree with Wendy. Also if needed I have pictures of various convertible carseats in a 2010 outback. Those babies are spacious compared to my impreza.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Crystal: CPST, DCP and BFF to:
    Hania: 3 months, rf in a nuna pipa
    Piper: 2 years, 26lbs rf in a monkey clek fllo
    Isabella: 4.5 years, 32lbs rf in a clek foonf
    Rocking out in a 2015 Subaru WRX and a 2006 Toyota Sienna