Car recomendations

agave

After being hit 4 times in the 5 1/2 years I've had my xB I'm ready to get a new (to me) car. I'd like to keep it under 15k under 10k would be even better. I have 2 kids and have no plans for more but I would love to have more seating and cargo space. A 3rd row would be great but something that would work easily for a 3 across (usually 2 carseats and an adult) would be ok.

I really miss driving a truck, so I'm leaning towards an SUV but I would go for the right deal on a minivan. Gas mileage is important, I live in the boonies and nothing is a short drive. Anything that comes in yellow, orange or red is a bonus, I want to be seen on the road, I feel like I'm driving a target now.

So throw your ideas at me. What do you like and why?

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I'm a huge fan of my Mazda 5. It's not Radian-friendly in the 3rd row, but it's great in the 2nd row so with 2 kids it might not be a problem for you.

I think it's the only way to get 25+ mpg with a 3rd row unless you go hybrid. There should be plenty of used ones under 15K, though I don't think any in decent shape are under 10K.

Only thing is, it does not drive like a truck or a van at all. It drives like a car, which is one of the things I love about it, but not what you're looking for. They do come in red! (I'm like you, apparently I drive invisible cars. :rolleyes: I drive with my lights on now to try to help that.)

agave

Thanks, in many ways the Mazda5 is exactly what I need but not quite what I want. I did test drive one and liked it a whole lot better than the rental Carolla I was driving. I think I need to drive a few other things for comparison.

The official name of the paint on my car is camouflage, unfortunately it seems to work really well. I'm driving with my lights on when I remember.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I was hit 3 times in 2 years driving a car that was neon green. Seriously, it practically glowed in the dark, but people kept running into it.

Pixels

safeinthecar said:
I was hit 3 times in 2 years driving a car that was neon green. Seriously, it practically glowed in the dark, but people kept running into it.

Gazing danger? Other drivers were so busy staring at you, they drove right into you.

mkmama

Toyota Siennas are Radian friendly....minivan, but at about 19-20 mpg gas mileage isn't terrible -- lots of flexibility in arrangements in the 8 passenger version as well.

If you decide to go with a car, Impalas are also great...that wide back seat will easily accomodate two car seats and an adult, esp if some of the car seats are Radians. I'm personally not thrilled with Radian install RF in the center (too reclined for my likes) but like it outboard just fine, and center FF is just fine as well.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
If you decide to go with a car, Impalas are also great...that wide back seat will easily accomodate two car seats and an adult, esp if some of the car seats are Radians.

And as for cargo space, you can practically sleep in the trunk!

agave

I have never had a trunk before that would just be weird. I also need space for the dog, he can't ride in the trunk or next to the monsters, uh I mean kids.

agave

How tight is the back seat of an Escape? I know it's smaller than what I really want but I found a good deal on an orange one. It looks like it may be the same color as the Ranger I had. That thing was super easy to find in parking lots and no one felt the need to run over me in it.

agave

Where you being hit by color blind people? My dad claims red and green are non-descript colors. I'm pretty sure a glow in the dark car wouldn't help me either I always get hit on nice sunny days. :confused:

Last edited:

acoro

Not very helpful but useless fact of the day, I'd heard/read a statistic many moons ago that red cars are hit more often then any other colour. also my friend had a day glow yellow car and I swear people "almost" hit it while parked/stopped daily.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC