Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Car recomendations

After being hit 4 times in the 5 1/2 years I've had my xB I'm ready to get a new (to me) car. I'd like to keep it under 15k under 10k would be even better. I have 2 kids and have no plans for more but I would love to have more seating and cargo space. A 3rd row would be great but something that would work easily for a 3 across (usually 2 carseats and an adult) would be ok.

I really miss driving a truck, so I'm leaning towards an SUV but I would go for the right deal on a minivan. Gas mileage is important, I live in the boonies and nothing is a short drive. Anything that comes in yellow, orange or red is a bonus, I want to be seen on the road, I feel like I'm driving a target now.

So throw your ideas at me. What do you like and why?
    N - 6/08 51" 59 lbs, Backless Monterey
    E - 11/09 48" 48 lbs, Parkway

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

I forgot to mention I also want something radian friendly.

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

Re: Car recomendations

I'm a huge fan of my Mazda 5. It's not Radian-friendly in the 3rd row, but it's great in the 2nd row so with 2 kids it might not be a problem for you.

I think it's the only way to get 25+ mpg with a 3rd row unless you go hybrid. There should be plenty of used ones under 15K, though I don't think any in decent shape are under 10K.

Only thing is, it does not drive like a truck or a van at all. It drives like a car, which is one of the things I love about it, but not what you're looking for. They do come in red! (I'm like you, apparently I drive invisible cars. I drive with my lights on now to try to help that.)
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

Thanks, in many ways the Mazda5 is exactly what I need but not quite what I want. I did test drive one and liked it a whole lot better than the rental Carolla I was driving. I think I need to drive a few other things for comparison.

The official name of the paint on my car is camouflage, unfortunately it seems to work really well. I'm driving with my lights on when I remember.

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar
    I was hit 3 times in 2 years driving a car that was neon green. Seriously, it practically glowed in the dark, but people kept running into it.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

Quote Originally Posted by safeinthecar
    I was hit 3 times in 2 years driving a car that was neon green. Seriously, it practically glowed in the dark, but people kept running into it.
    Gazing danger? Other drivers were so busy staring at you, they drove right into you.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

CPS Technician

Toyota Siennas are Radian friendly....minivan, but at about 19-20 mpg gas mileage isn't terrible -- lots of flexibility in arrangements in the 8 passenger version as well.

If you decide to go with a car, Impalas are also great...that wide back seat will easily accomodate two car seats and an adult, esp if some of the car seats are Radians. I'm personally not thrilled with Radian install RF in the center (too reclined for my likes) but like it outboard just fine, and center FF is just fine as well.

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mkmama View Post
    If you decide to go with a car, Impalas are also great...that wide back seat will easily accomodate two car seats and an adult, esp if some of the car seats are Radians.
    And as for cargo space, you can practically sleep in the trunk!
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

I have never had a trunk before that would just be weird. I also need space for the dog, he can't ride in the trunk or next to the monsters, uh I mean kids.

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Defrost View Post
    And as for cargo space, you can practically sleep in the trunk!
    Seriously, I can get more in my Impala trunk than I could in my Ford minivan!

No room for a dog though, really

How tight is the back seat of an Escape? I know it's smaller than what I really want but I found a good deal on an orange one. It looks like it may be the same color as the Ranger I had. That thing was super easy to find in parking lots and no one felt the need to run over me in it.

Quote Originally Posted by safeinthecar View Post
    Where you being hit by color blind people? My dad claims red and green are non-descript colors. I'm pretty sure a glow in the dark car wouldn't help me either I always get hit on nice sunny days.
    Last edited by agave; 07-30-2011 at 02:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by agave View Post
    So throw your ideas at me. What do you like and why?
    Have you taken a look at the Elantra Touring Wagon ? We love the cargo room in ours. When we went to pick up our crib, the guy in the store who was helping to load it asked "is it going to fit?", and was surprised when it slid right in (seats folded down) with no issues

Carseat Crazy
    Not very helpful but useless fact of the day, I'd heard/read a statistic many moons ago that red cars are hit more often then any other colour. also my friend had a day glow yellow car and I swear people "almost" hit it while parked/stopped daily.