urgent car seat question

renegade

I have to take a friend and her child to an appt this afternoon and have no idea how to instal her car seat in my car. Here is the info can someone give me some quick advice. I drive a 4runner (94) I have my sons Graco Nautilus and her Serena hers has to rear face. My big problem is no matter where I put the rear facing one once I tighten the seat belt it flips the car seat into the back of the seat. I am assuming that shouldn't happen. I have tried rolling up a towel under it to level it out but it doesn't help much. I can put it in the middle with a lap belt only (put locking clip on belt) or on the side with a lap/shoulder auto locking belt. Normally my sons is in the middle but his is easy to instal and I can put it anywhere. Please advise!!!!!

ADS

Jessica61624

The middle belt should NOT need a locking clip. It locks at the latch plate. Are you using the rfing belt path? And is the recline foot folded up?

cmm7

Instead of pushing into the part where her feet go when you tighten the belt, go behind the seat and push it into the back of the seat. I am not sure if that makes much sense, but try to wedge yourself between the front seat and the back of the Scenera. Then when tightening the seatbelt, push the Scenera into the back of the vehicle seat that it is on. Hope that was clear and helps!

renegade

Yes I am using the rf belt path and the recline part is folded up will try pushing the other way just doesn't feel secure to me compared to my sons his doesn't move at all when its in tight but hers shifts all over the place and the way it can tip towards the seat makes me really nervous

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Also, when you check for movement, only check at the belt path. The Scenera will tip up toward the backseat if you check for movement at the head.

And like a PP said, no locking clip on a lap belt only.

Wendy

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
It should stay locked without it. Maybe it is too close to the belt path? Try twisting the belt stalk, up to 3 full twists.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What a locking clip does is hold the shoulder portion to the lap portion, locking them together. There's no shoulder portion on a lap belt. Just a tail full of slack.

Wendy

jess71903

Ambassador
A locking clip just holds the lab belt tight until, in a crash, the locking mechanism of the shoulder belt is activated. The locking clip may pop off at that point, but then it has already done its job.

On a lap only belt, the latchplate is the only locking mechanism. If it's not really locked before a crash by itself, it's not going to lock during a crash, and a locking clip won't change that.

The lap belt should be locked if the belt is held parallel to the latchplate. If it is tipped, it will unlock and slide freely. If twisting the buckle stalk (female end) of the seatbelt doesn't get the latchplate down far enough to keep it locked, you can buckle the seatbelt, tighten it, then unbuckle it and flip the buckle over (male end). That will hold it in a good position to stay locked.

Just wanted to reiterate that you ONLY check for movement at the belt path. It's normal and safe for the head end of a rearfacing seat to move and flip up.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I pull the cover up on the latchplate side, and tighten from inside the belt path. Also, standing behind it and pushing it into the seat.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
94 4Runner-towel not working because there is a huge crack at the bight of the seat for the towel to fall into. Wrap the towel around a roll of paper towels so that you have a firm, big roll and it'll work.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC