Don't freak out!

Lys

Senior Community Member
Today, My aunt sent me pics from my cousin's trip to visit her dad in Indonesia. Her works for an Oil company and has as long as I've been around.
Anyway!
Here's what "family" transportation looks like there! :eek:

Last edited:
ADS

Melizerd

OMG that's nuts. I half don't even believe the pic but I'm sure it's real. I think there's a BABY between the two adults...with a helmet? :eek:

Loves2sing

I've seen that a few times in Mexico, and my sister said she saw it very regularily, and worse than that when she was living in Bangkok, Thailand.:rolleyes: At least they are wearing helmets! In Thailand, it is the law for the driver to wear a helmet, but it doesn't matter if anyone else has one, so no one else ever wears them!

Last edited:

tjham

My husband saw this in China. I don't think there were helmets. He said I really would have freaked out!

supercrunch

well, at least they have helmets on!

I had to call the cops once in our old neighborhood because this guy kept taking a baby around the block on his motorcycle. And by "baby" I mean no more than 12 months old. Ugh! It just made me sick to my stomach.

lynsgirl

Well, you did say not to freak out, but but but but (sputtering) I'm having a hard time with that! There's a BABY between them :eek: ! Not that you didn't already know that. . . :rolleyes:. Thanks for sharing and for making me want to go out at midnight to kiss my van in extreme gratefulness :love: :thanx!: .

natysr

I actually HIGHLY applaud that family. They are doing the BEST thing they can for the safety of their family with the resources available to them.

You have to remember that Indonisia is a third world country. It consists of thousands of islands. Their road conditions are extremely overcrowed and overall poor. They share the roads with livestock etc. and the roads are poorly maintained. Most people do not even own automobiles. What public transportation they do have is very dangerous as buses are frequently overcrowded and are driven too fast for the conditions. And, even those that do own cars, most cars in that country have no seatbelts in the back seats. So even if they wanted to use a carseat for their baby, there would be no way to secure it.

We should all just remember this and remember that we are luck and priveleged to have the opportunity to live in countries that give us the ability to keep our children safe on the roads.

Oh but on a side note...Indonisia actually has more strick helmet laws than many of the states in the United States.

bbartlettnfld

Actually canada is just as bad.. I lived in Northern Labrador and I have seen 6-8 people riding on a Quad (4 wheeler) most of them small kids no one had a helmet.. The safest baby I saw was one that was in a snugli on moms chest while she was driving the ski-doo.. Most babies are wrapped in blankest and held in one arm while mom drives with the other!

Splash

I actually HIGHLY applaud that family. They are doing the BEST thing they can for the safety of their family with the resources available to them.

You have to remember that Indonisia is a third world country. It consists of thousands of islands. Their road conditions are extremely overcrowed and overall poor. They share the roads with livestock etc. and the roads are poorly maintained. Most people do not even own automobiles. What public transportation they do have is very dangerous as buses are frequently overcrowded and are driven too fast for the conditions. And, even those that do own cars, most cars in that country have no seatbelts in the back seats. So even if they wanted to use a carseat for their baby, there would be no way to secure it.

We should all just remember this and remember that we are luck and priveleged to have the opportunity to live in countries that give us the ability to keep our children safe on the roads.

Oh but on a side note...Indonisia actually has more strick helmet laws than many of the states in the United States.

:yeahthat:

I think it's great. They are doing what they can with the resources available to them. Those kids are actually probably safer than if they were in a car... they might even be safer on the road like that than they would be in a car over here! Dad can quickly maneuver around obstacles, no Excursions to cream them, and everyone in a helmet. There is no reason to bash them for living in a poor country.

fastdogs

my husband is from indonesia- we saw a lot of this when I visited in laws, except not so many helmets on his island. But the driving is absolutely insane. I know we need to take andy to meet family, but I am terrified of taking him there right now, and father in law can't get a visa to come here. Things like this, and children playing right by the road with traffic flying past.
vickie

lynsgirl

I think it's great. They are doing what they can with the resources available to them. Those kids are actually probably safer than if they were in a car... they might even be safer on the road like that than they would be in a car over here! Dad can quickly maneuver around obstacles, no Excursions to cream them, and everyone in a helmet. There is no reason to bash them for living in a poor country.

Not bashing them at all! Just trying to stuff my poor eyeballs back in their sockets after the initial shock is all. I really *am* very thankful for being able to keep my kids safe and I know the conditions there are very different. :)

CandCfam

bolding mine.

Not everyone of them has a helmet on. If you look at the child in between the two adults, there is no helmet on her head.

I wouldn't say I'm bashing them, but it is very sad to me that they everyone but the baby has a helmet on.

Wineaux

bolding mine.

Not everyone of them has a helmet on. If you look at the child in between the two adults, there is no helmet on her head.

I wouldn't say I'm bashing them, but it is very sad to me that they everyone but the baby has a helmet on.

But do they make helmets that small, and are they readily available?

CandCfam

But do they make helmets that small, and are they readily available?

Well, I don't know how big that child's head is, but they do make children's motorcycle helmets - how small the smallest available is, I don't know.

As for availability, I'm guessing since they have a motorcycle, and helmets on the adults and one child, that they have a motorcycle shop, which would either have them, or be able to order them.

Or they could order one online, themselves.

Why not protect all the riders?

It looks like they do make some pretty small

Last edited:

LuvBug

probably they dont make a motorcycle one that small... but a toddler bicycle helmet would be better than none at all, and they should be able to find one of those?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC