New car seat for new mom..

Baylor

I want to get a car seat for someone I know does not have a lot. Someone already donated a used one.. but I really would like to get her a new car seat for the baby.

I will find out what kind of car she has but I can you give me a suggestion of infant buckets that you like? I have only used the Graco Bucket that came with my quattro. So I don't know a lot about them.

So any suggestions are awesome! Thanks.

ADS

nevaehsmommy

I really like the onboard 35 I got for my sister. My niece came home in it. It fit her like a glove.Going home weight somewhere in the 5# area. My older niece who was 14 months at the time still fit in the seat. She is average proportions. It can be found right now around the $100 mark.

Baylor

I am thinking that maybe I can get a few to go in with me and 100.00 would be a good mark.. What about any that come as a system.. Any of them have a good seat? I know they are not really praised around here but I am a matching gal and loved that everything I had matched..

Phineasmama

Have you checked your target for clearance seats?

For gift giving I would probably just do a Graco seat- making sure that it's a front adjust harness. they are so easy to use that hopefully they would install it correctly!

christineka

How about the baby trend up on nobetterdeal.com ? Or some other cool seat from nobetterdeal.com ? There have been a few seats for great prices. If you want to go with regular priced seats, found in stores, then the comfy carry elite plus or whatever the fanciest is, the onboard, or the snugride 22, front adjust.

swtgi1982

I would find out if the mother would use the bucket or would she prefer a convertible since she does not have much and it would last her much much longer? If so I would look at a My Ride or something. All to many parents leave babies in the bucket all the time sleeping etc that I really do not push them other then for preemies. Also I would see if she would let you dispose of the used seat if it has an unknown history on e you give her the new one.

littleangelfire

I would find out if the mother would use the bucket or would she prefer a convertible since she does not have much and it would last her much much longer? If so I would look at a My Ride or something. All to many parents leave babies in the bucket all the time sleeping etc that I really do not push them other then for preemies. Also I would see if she would let you dispose of the used seat if it has an unknown history on e you give her the new one.

I agree. Was the seat given by someone who used it themselves or purchased at a 2nd hand shop or garage sale? Do you know what kind of seat it is? For someone who doesn't have much, I would go the convertible route b/c it will get so much more use for the same price. Graco MyRide65 is on clearanced at Target for $100.

Baylor

The used one is an alpha omega elite and is not expired or recalled. it is from someone from church that I know and trust. She used it as a back up seat and it is in brand new condition. She also knows that I am a car seat enthusiast and made sure to have all the information including the box and manual for us.

I talked to a few women last night and we are going to throw her a shower so the money will be there to get her a nice bucket. The baby is due in december so 'it will be nice to be able to strap her in and have her warm before going out. I am also going to see if she is willing to meet with car seat tech to make sure she understands good usage and her seats are installed correctly.
I loved my graco seats but to be honest I never used anything else. So am hoping i will get some good recommendations.. I am watching all the good sale sites to look for deals too.

christineka

I vote for the keyfit because it is the easiest car seat to install and use. The lamaze via seems like it might be easy as well. An easier seat is more likely to be used correctly.

Kegracin

I vote for the keyfit because it is the easiest car seat to install and use. The lamaze via seems like it might be easy as well. An easier seat is more likely to be used correctly.

:yeahthatlove: This is exactly why I got a Keyfit I wanted a seat that my MIL could install :)

Kat_Momof3

since you can trust the AOE, it's not bad, but for a newborn, it may not fit baby well.

I would definitely see about swinging her an infant seat, even if she never takes it out of the car to use with a stroller.

andre149

I just went through this with wanting to get my friend's infant seat for her. Here's the "list" we came up with lol

Baby Trend bucket: Good price point, but has a puzzle buckle which is something my friend didn't want

Onboard35: This is what we ended up going with (the air version, got it on nobetterdeal for under 100). The fact that it fits littles well (just in case), has a front adjust harness, and will last for a long time were the big reasons. Cute, girly pattern was secondary ;)

Graco buckets: 22lb: considered, but couldn't justify the price point for a 22lb seat when we could spend a little more (relatively speaking) and get a 30/35lb seat (only looked at front adjust, no desire for rear adjust). The 30/35 were high on our list, and honestly the only reason we went with the OB35 over them was the sale price on it.

Maybe that helps?

ETA: The KF was off our list just because of the price point, if I could have afforded it that would have been my go to, but I couldn't swing that much.

Last edited:

vonfirmath

The Graco SNugride35 is also ridiculously easy to install and use, even with seatbelt. So from ease of use both the Keyfit and the Graco work.

Phineasmama

I was gonna say that a lady in my DDC on another board got a Graco Snugride/Snap n Go travel system for $30 at target!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC