Question Would you re-RF for a long trip?

Kiss Me Deadly

My oldest has been FF since she was 3 (she's almost 4 now). We're going on a long road trip in about a week, and she can RF in her sisters seat, since I was going to put the younger 2 in CCOs to save space. Would you RF her for a long trip? About 12 hours over 2 days?

ADS

Baylor

I would rf my kids if I could all the time. The statistics say you are more likely to have an accident closer to home than away. So if I could rf my child I would do it now until they outgrew the seat rfing.

If they are not used to being rf that long will it make problems? Is she going to be okay with it?

jnamommy

Do you think she will sleep better if she is RFing? If you will be traveling at night, or think she will sleep more/better, I would say RF.

Kiss Me Deadly

We most likely won't be traveling at night. I don't really know what her reaction would be. I could try it and take her for a ride around the base to see what happens. I almost feel guilty because I turned her at 3. At the time, I needed her seat for her sister and had a Frontier that I'd received as a gift just waiting to be used. It was just what I could afford, and looking back, it didn't make much sense, but 3 is 3 times longer than most people RF.

Plus, I'd get a huge kick out of seeing my in-laws' faces if they saw... They are the ones who hate my car seat rules with a passion, and tried to have her FF in their car at 8 months! :evil grin:

christineka

I would and have. The kids generally nap in the car. (Heck, I nap in the car!) They are more comfortable rear-facing, and it's easier to keep all their entertainment stuff in the seat. When ffing it can easily fall to the floor.

Baylor

We most likely won't be traveling at night. I don't really know what her reaction would be. I could try it and take her for a ride around the base to see what happens. I almost feel guilty because I turned her at 3. At the time, I needed her seat for her sister and had a Frontier that I'd received as a gift just waiting to be used. It was just what I could afford, and looking back, it didn't make much sense, but 3 is 3 times longer than most people RF.

Plus, I'd get a huge kick out of seeing my in-laws' faces if they saw... They are the ones who hate my car seat rules with a passion, and tried to have her FF in their car at 8 months! :evil grin:

I understand that guilt! I turned DS2 before his 2nd birthday. I don't remember when but I know it was well before I would have had I come here back then.

bnsnyde

If he/she fits, yes, I would.

Long trips are always my least favorite because it's more time on the road. Fast speeds. I just don't feel very safe.

My kids actually sleep great RF! Way better than FF with the headslump.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I probably would. The only reservation I would have in your situation is that IIRC, you are travelling alone with three littles. Would it be valuable to have your oldest as your "eyes" and entertainment in the rear with the younger siblings?

If you don't have reservations about that, and you have the means to RF them easily, then yes, I would do it. Especially with cargo in the passenger cabin. (I don't know if it's rational or not, but I always feel better putting cargo in front of a RFer than in front of a FFer.)

MissAllyLou

I would (and did) but for a completely different reason....

They can hold onto their things better :eek: .

We just did 6 hours in the car, and the only one who was happy the whole time was the 4 year old, RFing in her BLVD70. She had her My Little Ponies in her lap, her water cup, Goldfish, and frozen soybeans tucked into the seat next to her, and her pillow and blanket. Nothing fell, nothing was out of her reach. It was great!

The boys, on the other hand, were total pains, and not on purpose. They are 6 1/2 and 7 1/2, and both in boosters. I was constantly reminding them to sit up, not to grab things off the floor, handing things back to them, etc. If they were in harnesses I would have flipped them RFing too :p

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I would, and have.

When we moved here, we drove the 1400 miles from WA in about three days. Mali was 3 at the time and was mostly FF at that point, but we put her RF for the trip. The girls could sleep better that way, since we were driving all night. They could also hang onto their toys a little easier without dropping them, and we put a mirror so both could watch the factory-installed DVD player.

Kat_Momof3

This is how I feel and why I DEFINITELY WOULD...

I'm a car sleeper still on long trips, so if your kids aren't, that's a whole other matter.

But for me, the question is... how are you going to be most comfortable when you get tired and want to close your eyes and/or sleep (yes, I've been known to ride with my eyes closed for a couple hours prior to sleep)

It's not going to be sitting upright with the legs dangling... which is forward facing.

I'd be most comfortable reclined back where I don't have to worry about my head going forward... my legs are supported, and I can just lie there comfortably.

Also, it's more comfortable for reading in the car, drawing (because the crayon box will stay between you and the seat and not fall), and stretching your legs (you can put them over the sides or up the back, as opposed to in your Mommy or Daddy's back)

Phineasmama

Yes, I definitely would! If my DD fit that is :(

I like to have them facing the same direction anyways because they can watch the DVD player (we only use for long trips). I think I'm going to get one of those ones with two screens.

Oh and my DD kicks the back of my seat because she doesn't know what to do with her legs, which is really annoying!

momtotwogirls

Yes, in fact on Thursday we are going on a 6 hour trip to Vegas and my 4 yr old has requested to be backwards so it shall be plus its easier for movies and things since my 2 yr old doesnt have the option to forward face.

canadiangie

I'm making an 8 hour trip on Friday and all three girls will be RF. They sleep better, don't drop things and scream at me about it, eat better -- again, nothing drops, and of course it's more protective in a crash. Since I have seats to accommodate them all RF I figure why not. :)

Girls are 5, almost 4, and 9mos. The 5 yo is FF usually.

mkmama

:yeahthatlove: I hate when my oldest is in the car cause then he always wants to know what I'm eating and have some of it...my RF'ers never have a clue LOL

I always turn mine RF for trips if possible...like everyone else said, they sleep better, they eat better, they can stretch better, and things stay put, which IMO is the most important...I only have so many boxes of Crayons lol and their coloring books can easily be propped onto their bent knees instead of sliding to the floor every 5 mins.

Twinklefae

I'm in almost exactly the same boat - we leave on Friday. I think we're going to do it, for the sleep and no-drop factor, in addition to safety.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC