Looking at Toyota Siennas

allisonrose

I really want to get a Mazda5 but I'm in a time crunch since we just moved across country and sold my hubby's vehicle. My hubby is hoping to stick around the $13-14,000 price range. But with the Mazda5, he doesn't want to get one with a dark interior which seems so much more common than the light interior. I feel a Mazda5 would work well for our family but I also don't feel like not having a car for an extended period of time. (Hubby will likely take our Honda Civic to work every day.)

So I started looking at Toyota Siennas in this price range. I've pulled up options in the 2004-2006 model year on Autotrader. I have a True Fit and just purchased a Radian 80SL and hope we can get a vehicle the Radian can RF in easily. (I've read good things about Radians in the Mazda5.)

I would be interested to hear from anyone with experience with the 04-06 model years of the Toyota Sienna and if Radians are easily compatible with them. I'd also be interested in hearing any other issues there could be with the vehicle - carseat and otherwise. I'm just barely beginning to research and have very little time with two under 3 y/o's. :eek:

ADS

Mags462

I drive a 2005 Sienna and :love: it!

IME Radians work best in the 3rd row. I honestly don't own any because i found them to be difficult to install where i wanted them in the van. :eek: BUT i am no pro, nor a tech, so there are probably things i may not be doing to help with a successful install. They would probably work fine FF.

I own two TF's and those things are AWESOME in the Sienna. It's like they were made for the car! And i have installed just about every other convertible seat on the market and haven't had any issues. Latch is especially easy because of how Toyota installed them......

Make sure you take it to a toyota dealership to have any recalls done (minor things which may or may not need to be done depending on the trim level you buy)....

Have fun van shopping - i love my van!

NannyMom

I have an 8 passenger 2008 Sienna. Are you looking at 7 or 8 passenger? 2008 is mostly the same as 2004-2006. I have had a True Fit and currently have a True Fit Premiere. They fit great in my Sienna. I also have some Radian XTSLs. They do not fit well RF center, but do ok RF outboard. A trick I've found to make it easier is to use the old style boot (I bought one off swap).

otto

Have you looked at a Mazda MPV? They aren't quite as tank-like as the Hondas and Toyotas, fit Radians well, and are certainly within your price range. They weren't even on my radar when we were looking for a used van, but we knew within 2 minutes of getting in one that it was what we were looking for.

DahliaRW

The radian can have issues with overreclining with time rfing with larger/taller/heavier children in the captain's chairs. So that may be an issue for you unless you like to reinstall every few days. I drive an '09, used the old boot on an older radian.

karlatta

I have an 06 Sienna. The only "issue" I have with the Radian is that it does not install FF in the outboard passenger position in the 3rd row with the seatbelt (it does fine with LATCH). But it installs RF everywhere and FF everywhere else. I don't even have a problem with it in the second row captain's chairs. (But I have a 25-ish pound kid in it right now, and people report problems when it comes to having heavier kids in that seating position. I'll let you know in a couple of years, lol.

The TrueFit also installs reasonably well.

christineka

I have radians and a 2007 sienna. I can install the radian rfing anywhere now. Sk sent me an old boot and it works fine for the middle-most seat. I can get it installed ffing in any position, except driver's side, third row with the seatbelt.

mkmama

I too have the 2008 8 passenger Sienna...LOVE it! I can easily install a Radian RF outboard anywhere (simply haven't tried center yet) and FF in the few positions I've tried. For what its worth, I have the new style boot (I think) and I've not had issues.
TrueFit is also a dream in this vehicle! I've not found a seat yet that I can't install...I'm guessing my Avenue is going to give me the most trouble and require a few pool noodles, but it usually does anyways. Like a pp said, LATCH is heavenly in this vehicle...SO easy to get to and clip/unclip. Just wish there was LATCH and top tether in that 3rd row behind the driver position.

I'm also very glad we went with 8 passenger over 7 passenger...the middle center seat is removeable (or so the owners manual says, I havent done it yet) so that you can essentially turn it into a 7 passenger, just dont have any armrests on the center chairs. It gives me a lot more flexibility for hauling people, but I also have my 4th child on the way, so have more children than the average family these days.

Jillian

Hi Allison,

In April I bought a 2004 Sienna LE 8 Passenger with 74k miles for $12,900. It has side curtain airbags, leather seats, DVD, and one remote sliding door.

My CA fits in the middle row no problem :)

It's seriously the best purchase I ever made!!

misstj9

Like a pp said, LATCH is heavenly in this vehicle...SO easy to get to and clip/unclip. Just wish there was LATCH and top tether in that 3rd row behind the driver position.

I'm also very glad we went with 8 passenger over 7 passenger...the middle center seat is removeable

yes to all of the above!! I have the 8 passenger as well and can fit 3 britax's (marathoon, decathalon, and boulevard) across in the middle row (2 RF) with NO problems! that alone is wonderful IMHO!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC