Question Seat question from friend...

Kiss Me Deadly

I'm still waiting to find out the kid's stats and current seat...

My nephew is 4 years old, not certain on his weight. My sister currently has him in a 5-point harness but he is having…ummm…a family jewel issue that affects his urination habits. The buckle is pressing too hard on his area. She knows the risks of moving him to a seat belt car seat but is conflicted between possible continuous UTIs and safety. Do you have any thoughts/recommendations? Let me know if you need more information. Thanks in advance!

ADS

MommaWhitney

Knowing what seat he is in would be very helpful. Some seats have longer buckles then others and some have more positions for the buckle.

Kat_Momof3

I've NEVER heard of a boy getting a UTI from a carseat buckle pressing on it.

In fact, UTIs on boys before they become sexually active is really unusual.

Has he been taken to the doctor and had his kidney function tested?? Has he been diagnosed with UTIs?

CPST_Augie

CPS Technician
I've NEVER heard of a boy getting a UTI from a carseat buckle pressing on it.

In fact, UTIs on boys before they become sexually active is really unusual.

Has he been taken to the doctor and had his kidney function tested?? Has he been diagnosed with UTIs?

This. I'd mention a condition called kidney reflux to her. It's the only source of recurrent UTI's that I know of for a little boy.

tiggercat

I'm confused about how the buckle pressing while he is in the seat is affecting his urination habits while he is out of the seat? Head scratcher.
I'd suggest trying a different brand if 5pt to see if that gives more room, or maybe a seat with a belly pad?

Kiss Me Deadly

She still hasn't found out what seat he is currently in, but I snapped a pic of my Frontier to show her how some seats have different positions the crotch buckle can move to as the child grows.

Kiss Me Deadly

OK, all she can tell me is that it's a Graco, not sure of model. She seems to be ignoring my subtle comments about maybe there is another problem, and wants help to find a seat with a longer/more adjustable crotch buckle. I know the Frontier has 3 slots for the crotch buckle, what other seats have the most room in that area?

Baylor

Maybe she has it all too tight? That it is pressing that hard? I have 2 boys and never have they had issues with that area being uncomfortable in the seat..

Unless this kid is in the seat all day long, I don't see how this could be the issue.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC