Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

4 yr old Harnessed seat

DS's (will be 5 in Sept) seat only harnesses till 40 lbs FF. It does convert to booster but he really still needs a harness since he literally sleeps in the car a minimum of two and a half hours a day. I weighed him yesterday and he's 39lbs clothed...so I think asap would be a fine time to get this done. Cost is an important consideration. I'd like something that converts well to a booster when it's outgrown (right now it's an Eddie Baur which I read does not convert well though I have not tried it on him as I really think the harness is important for our situation)
    I was thinking a maestro? He's darn close to 5 and not even 40 lbs yet so I don't expect that 10 lbs to happen all that quick.
    Does anyone have a better suggestion or do you think that would be my best bet?
    Mom to 3 kids... Riley- seat belt (12), Andrew- Nauti (5) and Victoria- MR65 (1) and guardian to Kayla (13)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: 4 yr old Harnessed seat

I think a Maestro sounds perfect.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

I would get a Nautilus if you can. It will booster longer than the Maestro. The Maestro is often outgrown by height shortly after harness height is outgrown.
    Mama to Sofi: 7.1 yrs, 46Lbs (47"), Boostered in a Turbo, Vivo, Monterey, Cybex; harnessed in Nautilus
    Nanny to BabyD, 21 months in a RXT, Classic Marathon, Boulevard 70

CPS Technician
    I would get a maestro now and a dedicated booster when you need it. Wish our kids weighed less so I could get a maestro. I really like that seat.
    Stefanie - CPST in Iowa
    mom to dd 11,/00, ds 11/01, ds 3/06, dd 04/07, dd 08/12 (radian rxt) ds 12/13 (evenflo sureride)

Carseat Crazy

I agree with a Maestro. We have one and it is pretty easy to install and use.
    Amie
    Wife to Jeremy, Mommy to Chaeli, 10 (9/27/07) boostered roughly 4, 9” inches and 92 pounds) riding in an Evenflo Spectrum in a ‘18 Chevrolet Traverse & a Britax Frontier 90 in a '17 Chevrolet Equinox

For the price, I'd say Maestro but you will have to get a booster later. If you have a little more to spend now, I'd go for the Nautilus since it makes a good booster where the Maestro doesn't.
    Brealin
    CPST, doula and mommy to Braedon (9/30/03) Monterey; Regent for long trips
    Cohen (10/5/08) ERF Radian XTSL

Thank you everyone! I got a $50 tip today so I went with the Nautilus (bought from Amazon and I clicked through an advert on this site so that will count for car-seat.org right??)
    The extra 50 dollars made up most of the difference between the $73 Maestro and $137 for the Nautilus. Yay for tips!!
    I figured if it'll last a while longer, it would probably be worth it.
    Thanks for all your help!
    Mom to 3 kids... Riley- seat belt (12), Andrew- Nauti (5) and Victoria- MR65 (1) and guardian to Kayla (13)