Expiration Dates

karina250

I was just curious when you are buying a car seat brand new, what kind of expiration date do you look for?

After receiving a seat from Amazon with a manufacture date almost 2 years old, its made me think about checking the expiration date before buying. (I did send that seat back to Amazon.)

Anyways today we were at Wal-Mart and I bought DS a Nautilus. All of the people in the baby section (and honestly it was busy) keep staring at me. I was checking every single Nautilus box to find the newest manufacture date, and there were 6 of them! Anyways I got one with a manufacture date of 4/2011.

So do you check the manufacture date before buying and how new of a date do you look for?

ADS

Rebelnicky04

I do look at them because I too was burned by an online purchase. I received an EFTA one time with an 08 DOM and I was pretty upset with that. I always look for something no more than 6 months old if I'm paying full price ;)

MommaWhitney

Oh yea I do. I was burned big time by a local baby store. Bought a 2.5yr old parkway full price. Didnt find out till the next day. Tried to return it but they nearly wouldnt let me. I could only get store credit and could not order a new one, some bs about not doing business with britax anymore. Even though the day before they were going to order me a cowmoo cover sg. Yea I just took the store credit and bought uniforms and will never shop there again. Ill never not check DOM again before buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Stelvis

It depends on the price. I was very happy with my year old TFP for $130. But full price or normal sale price, I'd want something 6 months or less.

Phineasmama

I definitely check if I'm in the store!!

I haven't had a problem with online purchases thankfully, the few seats I've bought recently have all been 4/11 as well, big month for car seat manufacturing I guess lol!! Before that I got some from Albeebaby and they always have good DOMs. I would send it back if it was more than 1 year old.

rxmommy

For a Graco seat the month is not important. :) We have 2 Nauti's, the manufacture date is a few months apart, but all Graco seats expire in December of the expiration year (so 6 years for the harnessed part of the Nauti, I forget what it is for the backless booster part).

I have only bought 2 or 3 seats in a store and not online so I usually don't get a chance to go searching for the best dates!

Kat_Momof3

definitely depends on how big of a sale/deal I get on it... how long I'm gonna want to use it for, all that.

Even though I got Ruthie's new Probooster from nobetterdeal.com (so I know it was a return or just a damaged box.... in the case of this one it specified... new, damaged box), so even though, with the price being less than half of the retail value, I would have been FINE with it being at least a year old, I still checked the date because of how petite she was and me needing to know how long I'd have before I had to think about the next seat.

Thankfully, it turned out to have the date of 3/15/11 (which happens to be Ruthie's birthday, which means it will expire on her 13th birthday... which is fine... I'll be fine with her in a backless well before then and I doubt she'll still fit in it as she's supposed to be 4'9" at that age), but I didn't EXPECT it. I expected it to be no older than 2010, because it was "new", but going by how fast that seat tends to sell on a normal basis, I didn't know when the box started looking damaged... when I saw that date, I took it that it must have been a recent shipment.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC