What has been your carseat experience with Buy Buy Baby?

luckyclov

Not too long ago, we had a BBB open in our area. I was super excited because, well, BRU isn't my favorite place for carseats and our local specialty shop - which I do like - has been carrying less and less of the stuff I like/want, like Recaro.

Anyhoots. I've been to BBB precisely 4 times since it's opened and each time, perhaps multiple times in each visit, I've had to put on ear and eye blinders while rollin' through the carseat department. The staff is SUPER helpful and always available, but, well, their (accurate) knowledge is lacking...in a serious way.

I have "learned", via being nosy, that:

1). The AOE is the best seat on the market because it's the only one you'll ever need.

2). Rear-facing hasn't been proven to be safer beyond 2 years.

3). You can install a Priori with LATCH and seatbelt, at the same time.

4). The harness should always be above the shoulders, but not too much, for rear-facing AND forward-facing.

5). The Combi Shuttle (33) is a really small infant seat and they don't recommend it because it only goes to 22 lbs.

6). There really isn't a need for booster use after the age of 8.

7). Snuzzlers work better as support in infant seats than the supports provided by the manufacturers.

There may be more...but those are still fresh on my mind.:rolleyes:

I have a letter in the works.

ADS

bnsnyde

They offered no help at all.
I came in knowing a lot more, but that was OK. I just wanted to buy a seat.

But it was AWESOME because I got to play with seats that other stores don't have. And their return policy is good just in case.

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
yeah and thats why when they ask me if I need help I say no i'm just playing I'm a tech...

because the one time I didn't the associate informed me that the keyfit is "safer" than the snugride because it has more attachment points to the base than the snugride does:rolleyes:

Phineasmama

Well, I have to say that they don't seem quite as idiotic as the BRU employees (in my town at least). they are always really nice and receptive to my um...information (i.e. lectures :p)

Phineasmama

Oh, AND they ordered my Aton for me using the 20 percent off coupon AND gave me free shipping so I was quite pleased, it showed up at my doorstep 2 days later :) And the girl who was working in the car seat department asked me for info on the seat because she hadn't seen one yet :)

djma

I've only been to it twice. The first time just to get a glimpse of the "speciatly" things.

Then I went Thursday night to get my radian. I was extremely impressed with their price matching. I brought in an ad for a 65sl that was on sale on another site for $183 versus their online price of $229. But they do not carry the 65 in their stores. So I told them that another site had the XT for $204 versus their $299, she said no problem! She verified it on their computer, printed the ad for me, and price matched without hesitation.

I did kind of chuckle the first time because they carry all of the top name brands and high end things....I asked where the cloth diapers were, and a lady took me to the gerber prefolds and told me they were great burp cloths. I asked about BumGenius or Fuzzi Bunz and she just looked puzzled. LOL

Rebelnicky04

When I went to the Buy Buy Baby in Cincinnati- I was just playing too BUT there was no help offered whatsoever. I saw a couple struggling with a stroller and after hearing me tell my husband about each one of the strollers and which one I liked the best they asked for my advice. The stroller conversation worked into car seats and before I knew it they were making decisions. It actually made me feel good and less psychotic or at least better about my addiction :rolleyes: Anywho I think I helped them and gave them appropriate information so maybe it was a good thing an employee didn't offer help.

luckyclov

Oh, yeah - don't get me wrong, their customer service is outstanding. No issues whatsoever with price-matching, even online stuff. I actually find the staff there friendlier then over at New Baby Products. I just wish the carseat peeps were a little more knowledgable. It's frustrating. But they mean well, I suppose.

I was there this afternoon and got a buttload of the oxo tot feeding/drinking stuff and, easily, spent over an hour just browsing without boredom. They don't carry DS2's favorite puffs brand (HappyBaby), though...which is disappointing.

jjordan

I've been there a few times to try seats but haven't hung around to hear any car seat advice. The person who helped me bring a radian to my car to try out definitely knew nothing about it though.

I was more disappointed when I went to a specialty baby store that advertises having CPSTs on staff only to get some very bad advice from the sales person who seemed very confident in his knowledge/abilities. (He told me that car seats weren't allowed to touch each other when installed in a car.)

cowgirlsmommy

The staff at my local Buy Buy Baby is awesome! They promote ERF'ing, EH'ing, they can rattle off limits to every seat they have and know how to use them. They're the same way with strollers.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
BBB is moving in to my area, their aim is to take BRU's business. My boss said (using a very astonished tone)they actually train people before they hit the floor, so I wonder what 'training' consists of :confused:
Oh well, I hope one opens close enough to me I can go work there :cool:

swtgi1982

The two year old thing is partly correct if you only look at US crash tests. Since they have not tested here in the US past that point since "there is no need for it". But going off Sweedish historic crash data "real life" data. Yes the results are out there.

Phineasmama

I was just at the library the other day and saw no less than FIVE moms pushing BJCS strollers, it looks like BBB is winning this race :p

luckyclov

The two year old thing is partly correct if you only look at US crash tests. Since they have not tested here in the US past that point since "there is no need for it". But going off Sweedish historic crash data "real life" data. Yes the results are out there.
Yeah, technically, I suppose this is true, due to the lack of US data. However, from my POV, a simple understanding of physics and a moderate amount of logic steer me otherwise.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC