Should I Keep the Air Protect?

LKuepfer

We were in an accident earlier this week and now I am scrambling to make wise choices in replacing our car seats. I have two children DD 1 who is almost 3 1/2 weighing somewhere around 35 1bs with her torso height almost 15". DD 2 is 6 months and weighed 171bs about a month ago. I got the Graco Nautilu for my oldest daughter (now wishing I would have got the Britax Frontier because she is already at the second highest slot in the Graco Nautilu but she has already used so it's too late)
My main question is for DD2. Since she is already 6 months we are getting a convertible instead of her baby bucket seat. I originally got a Safety 1# Alpha Omega Elite but then was intrigued with the Air protect side impact technology and returned it for that.(Our older daughter had been in a Cosco Alpha Omega during and before the accident and we had problems loosening the latch buckle after tightening it well.) I read about how it is hard to install RF but parents are ignoring the 45 degree line for older kids and I was okay with that but then I read about the big hassle with the level line on Safetyfirst's facebook page and I'm totally confused. Those pictures of them installed in vehicles look ridiculous and to need that much noodle or towel filler in all vehicles? Plus I read how it can be dangerous to have an older kids at that angle because of rebound yet people think there could be a reason why Dorel insists on that level. So should I exhange this seat too before I run into trouble or is it a seat worse keeping. I want to RF DD 2 longer than DD 1 as I didn't know better with her. I don't know what vehicle we'll have since our Dodge Caravan is probably totaled but assume something similar and defiantly a mini van. We are in Canada so I'm more limited and I need to stay around the $200 mark. Sunshine and Britax are $300 or more around here. Thanks!

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Hi and welcome to the forums on c-s.org. I moved your thread to the Canadian forum so that you can get some Canadian specific answers since our information tends to be different than the American information in some regards.

I can't really give you any advice about the Air Protect angle other than to tell you that if Safety 1st is saying the seat needs to be installed with the line level to the ground, that there is no risk of the seat failing.

That being said, I would consider looking at the True Fit as it's on sale at Babies R Us right now. It only has a 35lb rf'ing weight limit, but it has no numerical rf'ing height limit and has a nice tall top shell. It also has 2 different ranges of angles that are allowed to be used, so you can have it more upright while following the manufacturer's instructions to the letter. The difficulty some people run in to with it is that the adjuster can be difficult to access rf'ing in some vehicles, but there are work-arounds for it that can remove the difficulty if you run in to it.

The My Ride is nice, but won't last as long by height and is harder to find right now. It doesn't always fit ff'ing in vehicles, so that would be something to be mindful of - but it does have a 40lb rf'ing limit, the range indicator goes from 30 to 45* allowing for a more upright install, and it has no numerical rf'ing height limit. It's also on sale on the Babies R Us website right now. $134.95 if I remember right. (I might be off by a few dollars so don't quote me if I'm wrong, lol.)

I really like the complete air and for me the angle isn't a deal breaker. I also wouldn't have concern about going a smidge more upright since it can be really difficult to tell if the line is parallel to the ground or not. For me the biggest issue would be that it is the only seat with a numerical rf'ing height limit, and at 36" it's relatively low and you'll be faced with deciding whether or not to exceed it or turning ff'ing earlier than you want to...

Hope this helps and I hope you guys are all ok.

canadiangie

I'll be honest and say I would return it.

Sears has the Graco MyRide, and Toys R Us has the TrueFit. Either is a great long lasting choice. Neither require a 45 degree angle or offer a numerical height limit for rf'ing.

I kind of prefer the MyRide for rf'ing, but the TrueFit for ff'ing. If you say you want to RF your dd for a long time, the MR should take you to about age 3, at which point she could take the Nautilus, and your oldest gets a dedicated booster.

That said, if you can scrape together an additional $40, www.tjskids.com has the Primrose Radian for $239 free shipping. Keep in mind it's not always easy to install, and because you're not sure what vehicle you're getting, I hesitate to really 'recommend' it, if that makes sense... It is incompatible in some vehicles.

But really, I think you would be very happy with a MR. Your baby is only 6mos old and MR's fit babies so nicely. :)

Eta: what am I thinking?! Babies r us has the MR for $131 right now. Duh.
http://www.toysrus.ca/search/index.jsp?fv=TRUSCA/2567270&f=Taxonomy&keywords=My+ride&x=0&y=0

Ninetales

I have the same seat and I struggled with what to do too. I felt exactly the same - feeling anxious because they are so adamant about the angle, but not feeling safe with that much recline.

In the end I did replace it and am saving it for FFing later.

LKuepfer

Thanks so much for your replies. Yes we're all fine we. We were stiff and sore for several days but the kids seemed to be okay. We were rear ended. Thanks for your suggestions. A few questions, Why is the My Ride not as nice for FF? and the True Fit is harder to RF because of it being hard to tighten the strap? And as far as the Alpa Omega Elite? What do you guys think of that one? I know it only RF to 35 lbs but my DD1 is only well over 35 now and DD 2 seems to be gaining at a slower rate. The other thing I wondered is if we could get together another $100 would the Britax be a better solution or is there just as many quirks with that one? I'll at least have somethings to help guide me now and also stuff to show DH. I just wish Complete Air wouldn't be so off the normal path because DD #2 was so comfortable in it, but I don't want to deal with always worrying about it. Car seat shopping is hard, because you need to spend so much money and I want to get it right and not have to deal with frustrations of getting in and out and installation especially for my DH, yet I want my babies to be safe! And all my friends and family think I'm car seat obsessed yet they have their kids FF before a year, loose straps, etc. Thanks Again!

Ninetales

The MR is very reclined FFing and some kids don't like it because of that. I think that's the main problem.

I don't have any other seats so I'm no expert but as far as installation goes, I've heard Britaxes are very easy. The lack of leg room for an older child is sometimes a problem but that's obviously based on individual build.

The AOE is made by Dorel, so it may have the same angle requirement as the CA, but I'm not positive about that.

mam521

For FFing, the MR angle can't really be adjusted...the base is as it is. Because of this recline and Graco requires the entire base of the CR to be on the vehicle seat, it can be a pain.

It is a very nice RF seat though...its plushy and comfy and the cup holders are an added bonus :) It does give more leg room for my DS than his classic BV by a fair bit too (He's 14mo and pretty average height). If your peanut is little, this seat would likely fit her well. And if you like the harness adjustment on the Nauti, its pretty much the same on the MR.

I like canadiangie's thoughts...MR for your DD2 which likely would take her RF'ing till she's 3 and then DD1 could booster and DD2 take the Nauti. Can't beat the price on the MR at TRU right now either :thumbsup:

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

Thanks again ladies. I am leaning toward the My Ride at this point. Do the slots for the harness work better than the Graco Safe Seat 301b (I think its called, I'm borrowing it from family right now.) I find the slots are so far apart that to keep it below her shoulders I need to use the lowest slot which is so far down it's hard to get her in and out. She's not as big as DD 1 was but not small either she is at the top of the charts at this point. I do find it easy to adjust the harness.
And as far as FF with the My Ride the only problem is too much recline and that is fine if the child is okay with it? It would make for better sleeping. I do want to RF for a long time but if I'll make it to 3 I don't know because it's a pretty far out idea around here.I like the cup holders too! Yes the price of the My Ride at BRU is great right now although I see only the pink one is left in stock online. Which is fine for now but if we would have another child.. are the covers expensive to buy? Can you buy them in Canada? I'm in ON.
And one more question to bug you guys with, Is the Britax a lot easier for use and installation than the rest or about the same. I did see the part about less leg room. Thanks again, I'm so glad there is a forum like this for help, I've learned a lot about car seat safety on here.

Ninetales

The older Britaxes I installed in class were easy but I don't think the Myride is any harder. I haven't tried the MR with LATCH but on a Britax LATCH is awesome.

mam521

The MR has simple LATCH connectors...the same hook style as you see on a Nauti. The Britaxes have the fancy premium ones that are push button for each side. I don't find the MR ones hard to use and not that this is a big deal, but MR is pretty much the only seat that has a dedicated RF LATCH belt and a FF LATCH belt so you don't have to worry about pulling the cover up and switching the side that the connectors come out on so they are the "right" way like the Britaxes.

I dunno...I like the MR...the lower harness slots are closer together than the upper ones, so you probably wouldn't have as big of an issue with the straps being as low down behind your LO. It is just a comfy, cushy seat :)

LKuepfer

Thanks Ladies, going to Sears tonight to look at one before I order one from BRU. If its a pain to FF that will just keep me RFing longer!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC