Question Anti-Rebound

ericarizo

Do you think the TFP anti-rebound bar does not preform any better than a regular TF that has a rock solid install?? I am debating between the two..

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't think I'd even consider the plain TF, to be honest. Rebound isn't an FMVSS measurement, so they both have the same test results on paper, but for kids who are going to be pushing the weight and height limits of RF seats, you really do want to manage it (like Sweden, with RF tethering for the last 45+ years). Plus, it's a lot easier to reach the harness adjuster with the TFP :)

Ninetales

joolsplus3 said:
I don't think I'd even consider the plain TF, to be honest. Rebound isn't an FMVSS measurement, so they both have the same test results on paper, but for kids who are going to be pushing the weight and height limits of RF seats, you really do want to manage it (like Sweden, with RF tethering for the last 45+ years). Plus, it's a lot easier to reach the harness adjuster with the TFP :)

Wait, I had no idea I was supposed to be considering AR. I plan to use my MR to the limit, but that's dangerous?

thepote

Wait, I had no idea I was supposed to be considering AR. I plan to use my MR to the limit, but that's dangerous?

Not dangerous at all... and way safer than FF. It's one of those personal judgement calls since there are no standards, sort of like the side impact stuff. For me, when my DS3 hit 25lbs or so, the 'perfect seat' for him seemed like it should have AR. I buy seats for every whim, though :rolleyes:

For recommending seats, the MR is a great choice for the 'to the limits' person who wants to buy one seat that installs well and stick with it.

rxmommy

I've never played with a regular TF, where is the harness adjuster on one of those? I personally find it almost impossible to reach the adjuster on my TFP, and my DH with large hands absolutely despises it. He buckles her in about 3x a year, though.

thepote

I've never played with a regular TF, where is the harness adjuster on one of those? I personally find it almost impossible to reach the adjuster on my TFP, and my DH with large hands absolutely despises it. He buckles her in about 3x a year, though.

Here, too. You need very small hands :thumbsdown: I'm not crazy about the continuous harness, either.

rxmommy

Here, too. You need very small hands :thumbsdown: I'm not crazy about the continuous harness, either.

I have small hands and long fingers, so maybe that's why I can *barely* reach the adjuster. It's one of the few things I look forward to Sophie FF. :eek:

I try to use the continous harness to my advantage. I rarely adjust the straps, and I slip one arm in by pulling the whole harness forward, pull the other side, slide the other arm in. Buckle and re-adjust by pulling on the straps from the back. Not always the easiest though, sometimes I really struggle to get that other arm in.

Britax is so much easier. :eek:

BananaBoat

:yeahthat:

I actually won't consider a RF convertible without some anti-rebound option. Just a parental choice on my part, but for me the heavier they get the more anti-rebound makes sense. Really limits the options, though.

ETA: I also prefer infant seats with anti-rebound of some sort. While I think the foot on the Chaperone might be overkill, I like that the KeyFit recommends keeping the handle up in the car for anti-rebound benefit.

canadiangie

:yeahthat:

I actually won't consider a RF convertible without some anti-rebound option. Just a parental choice on my part, but for me the heavier they get the more anti-rebound makes sense. Really limits the options, though.

ETA: I also prefer infant seats with anti-rebound of some sort. While I think the foot on the Chaperone might be overkill, I like that the KeyFit recommends keeping the handle up in the car for anti-rebound benefit.

Does the US manual actually recommend leaving the handle up?

IIRC the Canadian manual just says that any locked position is acceptable.

To answer OP's question, if you can afford the TFP and have easy access to buying one, I would personally opt for it over the regular version. Up here in Canada the TF seems to be on it's way to being temporarily phased out, and the TFP ("rebound" up here) is long gone but for a few online retailers that still have a few, I guess. The MR65 seems to be on it's way out too (this all because of new standards being implemented 2012), so our pickings are slim.

Anyway, I babble :eek:, I'd get a TFP. Actually, I'd love a TFP.

BananaBoat

Does the US manual actually recommend leaving the handle up?

IIRC the Canadian manual just says that any locked position is acceptable.

You are correct. It's not explicitly in the manual. BUT, I remember reading several discussions on the forum...
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=141552
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=176780
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=21995

And, I thought that in the Transport Canada tests they did it with the handle up because that's what the manufacturer recommended. I could totally be wrong...my pregnancy brain is like a freaking sieve!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC