Infant seats fly out of bases?

Bansheefaerie

I've had a couple people tell me that there have been tests done where infants seats have come out of the base during an accident? Does anyone know more about this?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
There is an advisory on the Designer 22 seats manufactured before a certain date (I think March 2009?) because of this in Canada, it's worth following in the US too- these bases should not be used with a lap/shoulder belt. They should instead be installed with LATCH/UAS or a lap-only belt, or used without the base.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safedrivers-childsafety-notices-2009c02-menu-844.htm

Other ones involve Consumer Reports and the seats were misused. I pretty much discount those.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I remember when my boys were babies (and I was too poor to buy those fancy infant seats that came with bases anyway) there was a massive public service announcement for everyone to stop using the bases if their seats came with them because they didn't hold up in crashes.

But that was like 1995 or something like that when the whole concept of a base with an infant seat was still pretty new. The manufacturers then redesigned the bases and they work a LOT better now. Nobody should be using any car seat of any kind from the '90s anyway, and that's the only time I've ever heard that was a broad, sweeping statement that infant seat bases were unsafe.

Of course there have been occasional recalls on specific seats since then, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of those recalls had to do with malfunctioning car seat bases.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Wasn't there a Combi seat recalled, too, for that reason? The problem was discovered when car seats were installed in cars during NCAP testing. After those tests, Combi redesigned their test bench to more accurately reflect real-world seats since the seats weren't failing on the standard test bench.

henrietta

Wasn't there a Combi seat recalled, too, for that reason? The problem was discovered when car seats were installed in cars during NCAP testing. After those tests, Combi redesigned their test bench to more accurately reflect real-world seats since the seats weren't failing on the standard test bench.

Yes, and they had a repair kit for it, but that model is now expired and there are no more repair kits available for it. :)

henrietta

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC