News So sad, horrible crash, loss mentioned

ADS

monica-m

CPST Instructor
That is so heartbreaking. Florida car seat laws make me very angry. I hope those inadequate laws did not have a hand in the severity of the injuries or the death of that little girl.

bnsnyde

Wow. My worst nightmare. Happening again.
How can anyone find out about restraints used? Very curious.

And does rear-end collision make FF or RF ideal in this case? Not sure of the details.
Was this a rare type of crash? Rear-end high speed or something?

kaleigh71

I didn't click on that link, I just read an article on it from FlaToday yesterday, and it might be the same one. The kids were asleep, and if what seems to be common happened, the kids may not have been secured properly - like so many pictures I see friends post of sleeping kids leaning all over the place. I do not know, I am just speculating based on what I see as "common" use, not correct use. It is very sad, they have a FB group set up for donations called Hannah's Helpers.

I tried doing a search yesterday for news articles in and around Blue Ridge, GA to see if I could find crash pics. I'm not a master of google-fu so someone else might be able to find some. I'm very curious to know about their restraints as well.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Found this after a quick google....

Investigators said the crash was the result of a speeding vehicle driven by a 16-year-old that collided with a van and another car sitting at the intersection of State Route 5215 near Josh Hall Road. Johnson was in the van with her mother, father and four other children, investigators said.
Charges are pending, and alcohol may have been a factor in that crash, police said.

Probably why there are no pics...and probably a good thing.

kaleigh71

Just found this as well from accessnorthga:

The first crash in Blue Ridge was Friday night on Georgia 515 at Josh Hall Road, according to officials with the Georgia State Patrol. They said a Honda van was stopped at a traffic light when it was hit from behind by a Dodge Ram pickup truck traveling at a high rate of speed. Authorities said 6-year-old Hanah Johnson of Palm Bay, Fla. was a passenger in the Honda and was killed in the crash. Five other people in that car were transported for treatment.

Officials said the driver of the pickup truck was a 16-year-old male juvenile who will face charges once the investigation is complete. A passenger in his vehicle, Cody Ray Totherow, 17, from Murphy, N.C. was charged with possession of alcohol and open container. Alcohol and speed are suspected in the crash.

msg221

That is just heartbreaking. Way too many sad stories lately. I believe last week or two weeks ago there was one where both parents were killed and I believe two children were both paralyzed in the accident. Yesterday Nour & Zain's mom posted this one on her FB page: All it did was make me incredibly angry at that baby's parents for being so careless about their baby's life:

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/allentown/index.ssf/2011/07/1-year-old_katrina_gunkel_kill.html

Kat_Momof3

from what it said the mother suffered (PRAISE GOD (or whatever you believe in) that the unborn baby is doing okay so far), I think some of it is from what was a very very horrific crash.

Honestly, I am surprised the kids came out as well as they did... I do think it sounds like the girls were likely out of boosters (or that the young one who died was at least out of position) and that Brooke did so well because she likely 5-stepped.

But Owen... there has to be a carseat (or lack of) reason for how severe his injuries were.

but obviously, the real reason for all of this tradgedy is the drunk and/or high teenager that caused the crash.

tiggercat

It makes me sick to think about, but the 3yr old looks on the big side, I wonder if he was in a short 40lb seat without enough head support and the rear impact pulled his head backwards (towards the point of impact) and the lack of support resulted in the neck damage.
That poor family :(

Phineasmama

That is just heartbreaking. Way too many sad stories lately. I believe last week or two weeks ago there was one where both parents were killed and I believe two children were both paralyzed in the accident. Yesterday Nour & Zain's mom posted this one on her FB page: All it did was make me incredibly angry at that baby's parents for being so careless about their baby's life:

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/allentown/index.ssf/2011/07/1-year-old_katrina_gunkel_kill.html

Yeah they "really loved her"....but not enough to use a car seat??? I mean, I feel sad for any parent that loses a child but in the case of absolute negligent stupidity...it's hard to have much sympathy for them.

msg221

I am not sure if this was the same article I read yesterday, but the one I read said that there was a car seat in the back seat, but the father still had the baby on his lap! :mad:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC