Photo editing software?

Momto2whosews

Senior Community Member
I think we need a little more than the basic MS Photo editor that we currently have, but I need opinions.

I'm no graphic artist but I do have a few years of desktop publishing experience from my old job and I know the Windows environment.

I think Photoshop might be a bit much for us. I have heard that it's difficult to learn all the features and it costs a lot, so why pay the $$ if I'm not going to use all the features?

I was thinking of Microsoft Digital Image Suite but see that it's been discontinued.

I really just need something for photo editing. It would be nice to combine pictures together into one file, add things like frames & filters, etc. I want more than the basic program that we use for cropping and red-eye removal, but I don't need a "professional" grade program either. Just something that's easy to use and not too expensive (under $100 would be great!).

Thoughts?

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I use PhotoPlus 6 (its free), I have used Picasa and Corel. I wasn't a huge fan of Picasa but I did like the free trial of Corel.

LuvBug

I have the MS DIS here at work, its ok but I like paint shop pro better for working with people. Office Max still has it last time I was there. We actually just purchased it in the past couple of months.

You can often times do a 30 day free trail of the editors. I would definitely try before I buy.

southpawboston

speaking of free trials, there are lots of freeware/shareware editors that are actually pretty decent. i'm not sure if this is made for windows also, but there is a mac program called "graphic converter" that is amazing, and it only costs about $25. you can try it for free...

Morganthe

We use Roxio photosuite 5 -- that's probably a couple of years off the newest version. If I remember correctly, it was around $40. Easy to use when I do need it, which is rarely :eek:

solmama

Hi, I would recommend Photoshop Elements. It's a more basic version of Photoshop with enough to satisfy someone who is tired of the photo software most cameras come with. My husband uses Photoshop cs2-very difficult for me to use. But at work, we have Elements. Much easier, more user friendly. Elements 5.0 will cost about $80. Good luck!

southpawboston

Hi, I would recommend Photoshop Elements. It's a more basic version of Photoshop with enough to satisfy someone who is tired of the photo software most cameras come with. My husband uses Photoshop cs2-very difficult for me to use. But at work, we have Elements. Much easier, more user friendly. Elements 5.0 will cost about $80. Good luck!

yes!!! i forgot about that! 80% of photoshop for 20% of the price! :thumbsup: i didn't know they still make current versions of it... i had an ooooooold version of PE years ago... like 1.0 or 2.0...

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Does Photoshop Elements have enough to please most amateur photographers?? Maybe that would be a good one for me to check out.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I think you should be able to download a free trial of the Photoshop elements so that you can try it if you want.

vonfirmath

Does Photoshop Elements have enough to please most amateur photographers?? Maybe that would be a good one for me to check out.

Well. I bought it to fix up scans of antique photographs, then used the photographs to make a calendar (in Word) for our family's 100th Reunion. And everyone was very pleased how it came out.

so I'd say its fine.

Momto2whosews

Senior Community Member
My mom has Photoshop Elements. We both have Photoshop Album and when she installed Elements it changed the way Album works. She isn't able to view her pictures the way she used to and pics get saved in wierd places and she can't find them later. When she originally installed it (with album already installed) it must have overwritten the first version of Album (not the free one either) and she lost a bunch of pictures that were previously on her hard drive.

I like the features, but I don't want to give up what I have with Album, it has all of our pictures cataloged and taged.

solmama

Oh, that's too bad, that's happened to my mom too. I've decided that I don't like ALL my pics on a computer. Kind of scary. I'm even considering going back to film!! Anyway, you can burn pics to a DVD-/+R before installing any new program. DVD's hold a lot more info than CD-R's. You may want to ask a question to a more tech savvy forum about what to do when installing a new photo-editing program. Perhaps, upon installation, you can put what your preferences are so as not to lose pics. Sorry if this is too wordy. Have a good weekend!

southpawboston

I've decided that I don't like ALL my pics on a computer. Kind of scary. I'm even considering going back to film!! Anyway, you can burn pics to a DVD-/+R before installing any new program. DVD's hold a lot more info than CD-R's.

it's actually a very good rule in general, to ALWAYS have a recent backup of all your photos on either CD-R or DVD-R... regardless of whether or not you're installing new software. you never know if and when your hard drive will crash, causing you to lose all your pics.

all our digital pics fit on 2 DVDs... we back up every month.

ignora

Senior Community Member
Ok... dumb question maybe. Can you use a dvd-r to store your pics even if you only have a cd writer? Or, do you have to have a dvd writer?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC