rear facing and rear seat collapsing

shashoo

I was recently talking to a parent and she told me her son was forward facing. When I asked why she turned him around, she said that it was because his legs were touching the seat and knees were slightly bent. Now I have read all the material on how it doesn't affect the child in the event of a crash, but she mentioned the rear seat collapsing and causing trauma to the childs legs. I have never heard of this happening in the rear seat. I know that it is possible for the driver's seat to break in a crash, but can that happen in the rear seat of an SUV? I am looking for some articles on this topic if you could please link me to some web pages I would appreciate it.

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I have never heard this, and even if it is possible, the odds seem extremely remote. Seat back mechanisms have been known to fail. This is usually when weighted with a heavy adult in them, during a severe rear-end crash (also very rare).

In the scenario the parent describes, there is no load on the seatback mechanism other than its own weight. It seems highly unlikely that it would fail in that mode and come forward in a frontal crash. That also assumes the seat is a fold-forward type of seat in the first place.

So, the parent would have to balance an extremely remote risk of injury to the child's legs to a much more likely injury to the child's neck and spinal cord if the child is seated front-facing.

Unfortunately, many parents get poor advice and put more faith into rumours that into sound safety practices. Pediatricians are sometimes to blame, and it's hard even for a child passenger safety technician to overcome a matter-of-fact statement from someone's own doctor that it's OK to turn a baby front facing at a young age. Other times, parents look for any possible rationalization to make it appear that safety is the factor for turning a child front-facing even though it is really one of comfort or convenience.

Although none address this parents concerns, there are a number of links to other resources on rear-facing at the bottom of our page at http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html .

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC