Heart Attack of the Day

scoutingbear

Today I went out to my car to take out all the seats except boosters for the shuttling I was doing for cubscout camp. As I reached for the buckle for Maddie's seat, I realized that it was not buckled! :eek: Further, the layers and layers of aluminum foil that were wrapped around it to keep A from pressing it by mistake were gone. All gone. Which means the child took off all the foil and released the seat and then didn't tell me! It makes me sick to think of how long she might have been riding like that. Yes, I do periodically check her seat by tugging at the belt path, but I get a false tightness because of her radian being between the Frontier and Monterey. It will make drop offs harder, but he will no longer be allowed to ride on that side of the car.

ADS

amelia222

yikes! you've probably thought of it, but can you flip the buckle so that the button is on the inside? At least you caught it now and nothing happened.

scoutingbear

yikes! you've probably thought of it, but can you flip the buckle so that the button is on the inside? At least you caught it now and nothing happened.

It is impossible to get it undone if the buckle is flipped. KQ had come up with the foil idea because it give him an immediate tactile cue AND there was enough there that it was impossible to press the button. It isn't even the buckle that is first felt when reaching between the seats to unbuckle the booster. I think the only solution is to switch him to the other side of the car.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
:eek:

And yeah, you cannot get that seat undone unless you unwrap ALL the aluminum foil. That's scary. :(

christineka

I had that same experience a week ago when I went to show my radian buyer how I had installed my radian- except it wasn't installed! The seat sits next to dd1's booster. I'm sure she accidentally unbuckled the seat sometime. She claims she didn't know she unbuckled it. (She has accidentally unbuckled car seats before and not said anything.) I put the rough side of sticky velcro on the button of ds' buckle, so hopefully dd will notice next time and say something.

emtb79

I have mine in the 4 row in the big van and is usually the extras and only used when I have extra kids. I have found mine unbuckled before. I have even turned mine with the button inward.

cookie123

Duct tape would be easier than zip ties probably.:)

I recently found Hannah's seat completely undone as well. No top tether, and seat belt undone. Yikes! At least you found it, nothing happened, and now you'll be more aware of checking it. It gives your heart a little startle though, doesn't it?

geekKT

Yikes! That would have scared me too. My only other thought would have been to try something noisy around the buckle, something you would obviously hear if he unwrapped it...cellophane? But I agree, it's probably easier and safer to just move him to the other side.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Ok now I want to know exactly what he means, cause I can't see how zip ties would work....

I don't know what he's thinking, but I would run the zip tie through the webbing under the buckle and then over the top of the fastened latch plate - again through the webbing. Pull it tight. 2 would probably be better than one - make a v shape over the latch plate. :rolleyes:

Not a recommended "fix" in any way shape or form. Rather like duct tape, using a zip tie will fix anything.

CPST_Augie

CPS Technician
I don't know what he's thinking, but I would run the zip tie through the webbing under the buckle and then over the top of the fastened latch plate - again through the webbing. Pull it tight. 2 would probably be better than one - make a v shape over the latch plate. :rolleyes:

Not a recommended "fix" in any way shape or form. Rather like duct tape, using a zip tie will fix anything.

I asked him and he said he'd have to see the seatbelt to be sure but that he's certain he could figure it a way to make them work. :D

cupcakepirate11

But why would they interfere in an emergency if the seat belt is used to hold a child that is in a harnessed seat? Would they remove the child IN the seat? I would guess they take the child out immediately with no seat?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC