Quick Help. Bunch o' kids that aren't mine!

scoutingbear

Tomorrow I am shuttle driving at A's daycamp from the campsite to the lake for a group of boys to go kayaking. It is a private road within the lake area (okay, county road since the lake is owned by the county). Probably a 2 mile drive up/down a 2 lane windy road. Boys tomorrow will be 4th and 5th graders (WEBLOS for those that are familiar). I have a Highlander with 3rd row seats and I won't have either of the 2 little kids in the car with me. I can put in 4 lbb (turbos and HLR). I was planning on keeping kids out of the front. Most other cars will just load the kids in :rolleyes: so my car will be one of the only ones where I will be making the kids sit in boosters. Does this sound like a good plan? I will have A's Monterey with me as well and whoever complains the most will get to sit in that one with the high back. :evil grin: I was actually going to take out the Monterey and just make them all ride in LBB because I don't think I can fit 3 across boosters in the middle row with all the kids being able to buckle. Which leaves the middle seating position unused unless there is a gigantor boy who can 5 step there. Good plan? Or forget the boosters?

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Depends. How tall are the boys in your unit? My younger son's den had some seriously puny kids in it, and if I could have gotten away with it I would have made them ride in boosters until high school. But if the kids are generally on the bigger side of average for 4th and 5th graders, I would probably let them skip the boosters for a short, nearly-private road at low speeds.

I don't know ANY children over the age of 8, regardless of size, who uses a booster. Because the law in my state says when they turn 8 they don't have to use one. :(

The Monterey can be used backless, too, can't it?

scoutingbear

Depends. How tall are the boys in your unit? My younger son's den had some seriously puny kids in it, and if I could have gotten away with it I would have made them ride in boosters until high school. But if the kids are generally on the bigger side of average for 4th and 5th graders, I would probably let them skip the boosters for a short, nearly-private road at low speeds.

I don't know ANY children over the age of 8, regardless of size, who uses a booster. Because the law in my state says when they turn 8 they don't have to use one. :(

The Monterey can be used backless, too, can't it?

I don't know the boys in the unit. They are from all different packs and it isn't my kid's unit that is going down to the lake tomorrow. But it was a volunteer position that I could do and it would still get me home to get the baby to bed (it is a twilight camp, so from 2pm until 9pm). I believe the Monterey can be used backless...but the baby's absolute favorite book atm is the Monterey instruction manual and I'm not sure where she put it today. :eek:

Oh, and on Friday I'll be shuttling for 1-3rd graders for the same trip. Our state is a 6/60 state.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yes, the Monterey can be used backless- you have headrests in all positions, right? And the manual is on their website. ;)

Remember please that we're not just a 6/60 state. We're also a proper use state for the seatbelt. Technically, you can tell any adults that complain that kids who don't pass the 5-step test aren't legal without boosters, so you refuse to drive them without one.

Any kids who complain you can tell to shut it, or they ain't going. But probably nicer and with better grammar, lol.

scoutingbear

Yes, the Monterey can be used backless- you have headrests in all positions, right? And the manual is on their website. ;)

Remember please that we're not just a 6/60 state. We're also a proper use state for the seatbelt. Technically, you can tell any adults that complain that kids who don't pass the 5-step test aren't legal without boosters, so you refuse to drive them without one.

Any kids who complain you can tell to shut it, or they ain't going. But probably nicer and with better grammar, lol.

I figured the maual was on the website. But with a migraine and cramps I wasn't going looking. :p And yes, I have headrests in all positions. I, uh, just need to put them all in this morning! But then again, I have to clean out the back of the car to find the third row, so I'll just pop them all in when I'm doing that.

I have a few copies of the 5 step test I was going to bring to hand to any adult that questioned. :whistle: I figured that they could get an edjumacation. ;)

Lea_Ontario

Use the boosters, for sure.

On the rare occasion that we have to tote Cub Scouts around in our van, they use a booster - and Cubs are 8 - 10 yrs old.

Beaver Scouts (5 - 7 yrs old) go in harnesses or boosters if they're with us.

Parents get to shove it. Even if said parent is another leader.

scoutingbear

Should I bring the RSTV too? I can use it to put a kid in the middle (if more spaces are needed) or even up front, again, if more spaces are needed. If I did put one up front it would have to be a child of a parent who is physically present at the camp. But that is only as last resort. I have a lb turbo and the HLR in the back, and in the middle I have the Monterey (I'll take the back off after I pick up C from VBS) and a lb turbo. I'll take the Radian out so the kids can buckle themselves and I'll throw in an extra lb turbo as well.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If your kid is going, I would plan on using the RSTV for him. You may be surprised and have some who 5 step - I have one not-yet-Weblo who 5 steps in the second row, and has in the third row since probably his 8th bday or before. Of course I have another who's not even close.

Use em if they need em, but some of them may not.

scoutingbear

If your kid is going, I would plan on using the RSTV for him. You may be surprised and have some who 5 step - I have one not-yet-Weblo who 5 steps in the second row, and has in the third row since probably his 8th bday or before. Of course I have another who's not even close.

Use em if they need em, but some of them may not.

I will for sure bring the RSTV for my kid on Friday. He is a Wolf, so his day is Friday. That way, even if he isn't in my car, he'll be in something. I tried A today in the 3rd row to see if he would 5 step test because he is VERY tall and the seats back there are so low. Its a no go. Belly belt. :( I was hoping he would because then I would think that most of the Weblos would be able to. I plan on bringing everything backless with one back for a turbo for C to ride in since he is going to play in the tot lot at the camp today instead of staying with my mom. And no one will 5 step in the middle row I'm afraid. I don't even 5 step back there...well, maybe in the middle position since the shoulder belt comes right from the seat there. Hmm. I'll have to try myself there when I take out M's radian in a few.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Since they're kids you don't know, I would have boosters on hand for all of them. You can decide when you get there whether you make ALL the kids sit in boosters, or only the ones who don't 5-step in your car.

I found out recently that our state is a "proper seat belt fit" state also, and a driver CAN be ticketed for having a kid in the car who doesn't fit properly in his or her seat belt even if the child is over age 8 or 4'9" (which is when the booster law ceases to be in effect directly).

scoutingbear

so I ended up with all Den Chiefs in my car. Only 1 needed a booster but he 5 stepped in the 3rd row so he opted to ride back there. Glad I only brougt backless so that we could slip them in the very back! (well, 1 back for transporting C) all the other boys were 14 and 15 so they fit just fine. We'll see what I get on Friday!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC