Question Rearranging again... I'm probably over-thinking this...

Kiss Me Deadly

So, I'm still trying to rearrange seats and kids to go on our 10+ hour road trip to TN. I have to fit myself, my 3 kids, our dog, and all of our luggage in a Mazda 5. I have an almost 4 year old FF in a Frontier, a 2.5 year old RF in a CCO, and a 5 month old RF in a CCO.

I tried it today with both RFers in the 3rd row, and I liked that the best space-wise. I could easily fit both of them RF, with the seats tethered, and use the tiny cargo area behind that row to store my stroller folded and be able to secure it. However, I'm thinking that it might be better for the FF child and the RF 2.5 year old to be in the 3rd row so they can face each other and talk and keep occupied. But then that leaves the baby RF in the 2nd row captains chair, and tethering that seat will eliminate a lot of cargo space... I'm just on car seat overload right now, and I can't figure out what the best idea is.

ADS

ahgirls

What about the ff in the third row with RF in the captain chairs. That way she can visit with both RF. Cargo i have no idea, I am a visual person on that.

Kiss Me Deadly

I could do that without using the RF tethers. If I had both RF and tethered, that would eliminate almost all of my cargo space. I'm thinking of spending the next few days doing "trial runs" to see what works best...

emtb79

Couldnt you put some of the small stuff between the the seat and the tether on the floor? I know in my vehicles with the rear-facers I put stuff like diaperbags and such in front of the carseats on the floor.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
What about putting the 2.5 yo rfer behind the driver, the Frontier 3rd row driver, and the baby 3rd row pass? That will give you the seat setup you want, the oldest two can see/talk to each other, and the oldest is right next to the baby to help if needed.

If allowed, you could even take the second row headrest off. (I had a 4 & 5yo duo that loved the front/back setup so much that the 5yo requested being rf so she could see her friend! Actually, my avi is of them touching their feet together...)

vangelder03

i would keep the 2 little ones in the back easier for them to sleep
put dd in a row by herself my kids tend to fight and argue on road trips
empty seat will be nice when you stop and want to go back to get the kids
taken care of during breaks

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Check your manual? I will don my "bad tech" hat and say that since my vehicle has removable headrests, and headrest storage space in the trunk, I just *ASSumed* it was ok and use my seats headrest-less unless I have a kid with a backless booster or flimsy-backed booster there. :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC