Inexpensive Car Seats...

Brigala

CPST Instructor
So, I had to stop by Bimart today to buy a bubble mailer (Bimart is a regional low-cost store for those of you who don't live in the PNW). I happened to swing through the baby aisle to see what they happen to have on sale today that might be useful. I noticed that they currently carry exactly three car seats in stock (not counting boosters): The Cosco Scenera, the Graco Comfort Sport, and the AOE (40 lb version). :sick:

SO... as I was checking out and the lady at the counter was making cutesy faces at the baby, I mentioned that two of the three car seats they carry were almost universally considered the worst two seats on the market today. I didn't expect her to do anything about it, I was just making small talk. But she said I really should fill out a comment card because their buyers probably have no idea what they're looking for and would really appreciate better suggestions.

So now I have this comment card and I feel like I should fill it out! I was thinking about suggesting the Maestro instead of the AOE. They should keep the Scenera on the shelves (but maybe look into carrying the 40RF version). I'm trying to decide what to suggest in place of the Crappysport. I'm thinking that if I keep it in the same general price range (their price on that seat is $70, I think) they're more likely to listen. I bet they make their buying choices based on the price points they think their customers want. And frankly, most people picking up a car seat at Bimart is probably also using price as their #1 consideration.

So... what convertible seat would YOU recommend somewhere between a $44 Scenera and a $99 AOE?

ADS

hrice

Neither of those seats are bad. All seats are required to meet the same standards. They are not recommended here and we steer people away from them because there are other choices that will last longer for the same price.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I know they're not unsafe for the kids they fit and if they're used correctly. But if a store is only going to have three choices, some options which would fit a broader variety of kids (not just short, stumpy ones under the age of three) would be better, don't you think?

That's all I want to do, suggest a few seats in the same price ranges that would better serve their customers.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
That's perfect. Thanks. :)

The link was really helpful, and yes I think the Onside Air would be a great option to fill that price point. :)

In my written comments I didn't call them the "worst" car seats. I can be diplomatic when I have to be. :p I did essentially say that there are other seats that are a better value, and explained why.

I suggested the Maestro and the Onside Air.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Yes, and actually I suggested that they consider the new AOE that Safety 1st is releasing this fall as well. But I did point out that IIHS gave the booster portion of the seat a "not recommended" rating and said they hadn't made any changes to the booster function.

I'd much rather see two convertibles and a Maestro on the shelf. I think they would serve their customers a whole lot better than the lineup they have currently. They also carry various booster seats, including (I think; I didn't look today) the Graco Turbobooster.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I got this response:
Hi Elizabeth:

Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge of car seats with us in such a constructive way! I have forwarded your email to our buying office for their consideration.

Thanks again!

Best,
:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC