Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Question 2001 Ford Excursion

Can anyone advise whether the 2001 Ford Excursion is an easy vehicle to install car seats in. We have a 10 month old and another one on the way, so we are looking for a bigger SUV. The one that we are looking at has the captain chairs in the back seat with a third row bench seat. Any opinions?
    Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

The excursion is an absolutely ginormous vehicle. Luke, seriously, the biggest SUV ever. It is built on a 3/4 ton truck frame (SAME AS THE F250) unless you haul big horse trailers or something, I can't imagine needing something that big for kid-hauling. The Expedition is on the 1/2 ton (F150) frame. It's still a big SUV and is very car seat friendly.

Sent from my Desire HD using Car-Seat.Org

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Re: 2001 Ford Excursion

I do haul horses and livestock. We live in a rural community and I am a 4-H agent, so it is part of my job to haul. Also we like that the diesel last longer mileage wise.

CPS Technician
    We tried one out years ago. Dh LOVED it. We use trailers often. It was a diesel!!

It was easy to install seats in. The one we tried had a 2nd and 3rd row bench. No captains. Anything would fit in there.

We ended up with a suburban later on. It would fit almost any seats too.

The 3rd row is tighter, so doing 3 across could be a challenge, but sounds like you are a ways away from having 5 kids back there.
    Stefanie - CPST in Iowa
    mom to dd 11,/00, ds 11/01, ds 3/06, dd 04/07, dd 08/12 (radian rxt) ds 12/13 (evenflo sureride)

Ok, gotcha. I misread your post to say that you wanted a "bigger" SUV for kid hauling and imagined you tooling around a city in that monster! I totally get the rural community and needing a big rig thing.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

CPS Technician xursusmaritimusx's Avatar

yep. lots of room. fits anything.

my dad has one.

easy to install seats in.