Chrysler Town & Country

TxMomma

We're going to be in the market for a new (used) vehicle in the next few months and I found a T&C that I love. Can someone tell me how the crash test ratings are on this? It's a 01' Limited. Would this be a good choice?

ADS

wondering1

The rear seatbelts on this vehicle have Gen3 design latches. This makes them very easy to become unlatched, for instance if an elbow or debris hits the release.

Try a bouncy ball on the front seatbelt release and compare the reaction of the same ball on the rear seatbelts. It is shocking how easily the rear belts unlatch.

The front seabelts are called Gen4.

LuvBug

yeah I knew nothing about them before this board either. What kind of budget are you looking at for a new vehicle? and how many do you plan on seating?

scatterbunny

Yes, I wouldn't consider a Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler van simply because of the Gen3 belts. :(

Crash-test-wise, I'd only consider a Windstar, Odyssey or Sienna if you're going for an older vehicle; new, the Quest gets good scores, I believe. The newest Sedona does, also.

TxMomma

yeah I knew nothing about them before this board either. What kind of budget are you looking at for a new vehicle? and how many do you plan on seating?

We need to seat 5 bare minimum, a 7 seater would allow us 6 usable spots unless the back row had shoulder lap belts across, or a tether anchor for the middle seat (does that make sense??). We are looking to stay under $14k. Four doors and captain chairs are a must, I really really want those.

stevel

aren't those van's the ones that didn't have brake lockouts for the shifter? any kid could just move the shifter out of park simply by pulling on it......

also wasn't there an issue with the tailgates flying open in rear end collisions? or was that a different van?

TxMomma

Yes, I wouldn't consider a Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler van simply because of the Gen3 belts. :(

Crash-test-wise, I'd only consider a Windstar, Odyssey or Sienna if you're going for an older vehicle; new, the Quest gets good scores, I believe. The newest Sedona does, also.

I looked at a Sedona when DH bought his Spectra in Dec and I loved it :love: but it's out of our price range :( If he hadn't needed a car I so would have got it!

I'm gonna look at the ones you suggested and see if I can find some in our price range, we still have a few months so it's really not a rush.

LuvBug

and obviously you are in TX lol! I would probably look at the ones Jenny suggested. The 01 and newer windstar has tether anchors in most positions I think??

scatterbunny

Heck, even my 99 Windstar has 6 tether anchors! One in every rear seating position and one on the front passenger seat. :D No LATCH, but the 2000 and newer Windstars have LATCH. I love love love my Windstar. :D

I think I'd love an Odyssey or Sienna more, though. Only if they had tether anchors in all seating positions, though. I suppose I could compromise on a few tether anchors if it had a third row/center shoulderbelt. :p

TxMomma

stevel

We are probably going to finance it, so craiglist wouldn't work. On the other hand the Windstars are pretty cheap , we might just save enough to buy one for cash. Who knows :confused: I know I would much rather save up the $$ than have another car payment.

banks are happy to loan people money to buy used cars from private owners, you just have to find the loan, vs. dealer arranging it for you.

LuvBug

banks are happy to loan people money to buy used cars from private owners, you just have to find the loan, vs. dealer arranging it for you.

yup yup!
So then if you have a personal bank you prefer to go with you can... or you can shop around for the best deal.

R&J'sMom

The newer models do not have the Gen3 seatbelts.

Safety Freak

Just so you know, you can get a newer one in your price range. These are regularly used by companies as fleet vehicles and I just got a 2006 T&C Touring model for $15,900. I could have gotten it for around 15K if my trade had not needed some major work. I was glad the dealer took it off my hands and he had actually found this van for me, so when he told me how much he could take for it, I wasn't haggling. I worked with him for a couple of months to get what I wanted. He had a 2005 Touring that he asked $13,200 for, but sold it a few days before I was ready to trade (I was trying to sell my SUV outright first). I lucked out though, the 2006 had side curtain airbags and the 2005 did not, so yay me! Both vehicles had about 65K miles on them, but have NO signs of wear at all, just a lot of highway miles mainly. The service was kept up well on it too. So, you can get something newer in that price range, you just have to be willing to overlook mileage. I figure I am going to run it in the ground for the next 3-4 years anyway carpooling kids:) I found a really nice and honest used dealer who I worked with. He was looking for what I wanted every week at the auctions and it worked out so much better than any new car deal I have ever done! Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC