Grandparents safer drivers?

bnsnyde

Today's paper is about a study that surprised the researchers who found injury rates were less when grandparents were driving grandkids (as opposed to parents). (Grandma is crazy careful when she drives mine, so I can understand this).

It noted grandparents did, however, tend to not follow certain things like RF seats or no front seat rule. Injuries were still less.

I found this to be an interesting article.

What do you think about your family?

ADS

Pixels

I am really surprised about those results, to the point where I'm skeptical that they are valid. We already know that older adults are less safe drivers, and if they are less likely to follow safety rules like RF seats and no front seat, how is it possible they have lower injury rates?

Keeanh

I wonder how they're quantifying how much driving is done by parents vs grandparents? Days of the week, minutes in the vehicle, miles driven, what? Off the top of my head, I'm thinking most grandparent driving involves to & from church, the park, school... quiet drives on residential streets. Long trips, heavy traffic, highway driving are far more likely to be handled by parents.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I'm guessing they're differentiating between "grandparents" and "great-grandparents." Older people are safer drivers, that's why they have lower insurance rates in general. It's not until you get into the 80's-90's drivers that things start looking bad again, but most grandparents are in their 50's-60's. Also, we're moving beyond generational issues that people who are now in their 80's had when they were in their 50's - no familiarity with seat belts, for example, or women who didn't learn to drive until they were 40.

Stelvis

There have been similar studies showing that household injury and non-auto accident rates are also lower for children in their grandparents' care compared to their own parents. Even when the grandparents haven't childproofed anything, etc. Probably just because when kids are with their grandparents, the grandparents tend to be almost solely focused on them. So this study would be consistent with that.

Anecdotally, my parents are only 56 and are very safe drivers. They also follow all the car seat rules I set forth for them very, very carefully and to the letter. I feel comfortable letting them drive DS anywhere.

bnsnyde

All those concerns about the study are valid. I don't know the details beyond what the paper reported in a smallish article. Just thought it was interesting. :)

Stelvis

Yeah, since it was a CHOP study I tend to put a little more credence to it. Not that there can't be flaws with it, but they tend to do good work.

MommaWhitney

My parents and my in laws are in their 50s. Both are great drivers and follow the car seat laws I set. Im sure they are more careful when they have the kids. Just like when I have someone elses kids. Im way more aware of what is going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Kat_Momof3

I think a lot of it is that older people (grandparents) drive more cautiously... slower, more defensively... and they're also more experienced drivers.

acoro

I find in our family I would not be comfortable with either my parents or OH's parents driving our kids. This has little to do with age and everything to do with my perceived capabilities of the drivers though. My dad I would have trusted but now that he has had several mini strokes he's out too. Having said that my sister drives my kids once and awhile and I don't much like that either as I find her to be awfully distracted behind the wheel.

NVMBR02

I haven't read the article yet but on the news blurb I saw it said it is 33% less likely for children to be in a crash with the grandparents vs. their parents. However, only 10% of the kids rode in a car with the grandparents, the rest did not ride with their grandparents. Injuries from the crashes were similar.

In my own family I don't trust my mother or my FIL to drive with our kids. MIL makes me a bit nervous but I do allow the kids to ride with her. I trust my dad completely.

I'll read the article after I get dd2 down for her nap.

ninejr

bnsnyde said:
Today's paper is about a study that surprised the researchers who found injury rates were less when grandparents were driving grandkids (as opposed to parents). (Grandma is crazy careful when she drives mine, so I can understand this).

It noted grandparents did, however, tend to not follow certain things like RF seats or no front seat rule. Injuries were still less.

I found this to be an interesting article.

What do you think about your family?

I think that my parents and Dh's parents are great with the kids in the car and they listen and follow my car sear rules.

I wonder if some of it is that they are less likely to be distracted by things like talking on the phone or texting? My parents are pretty good with technology, but they are careful about sort of using it safely in the car. DH's parents don't have cell phones.

cookie123

I was distressed today to find out my SIL was driving her 3 year old grandson around in their '65 convertible in a booster with a lap belt.:(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC