weight difference between Graco SnugRide and SafeSeat?

U

Unregistered

Hi everyone,

I'm new here; FTM with baby due in 8 weeks! I'm trying to decide between the Graco SnugRide or SafeSeat for our baby. I'm leaning towards the SafeSeat, but am mainly concerned about its weight (of the seat itself, not the weight limit for the baby) and if it would be heavy/difficult to carry around for a petite person. I'm 5'3" and was 100 lbs pre-pregnancy.

According to the Graco website, the difference between the two is only 2.25 lbs, so it shouldn't be that much of a problem. I did try them both at BRU and felt that the SafeSeat was manageable, but this was without the baby in the seat, of course! I'd love to hear personal experiences from people who have them or have compared them.

I had a couple more questions related to these... Will either of these fit with either the Graco Metrolite or the Peg Perego P3 stroller? As you can tell, I've not finally decided upon the stroller as well, though I've narrowed my search down to the above two!

Also, where can I can fabric covers for both/either of these seats? Most of the patterns are quite dark in color, and being in Texas, I'd like to cut down on the heat factor a little bit. The fabric on the SafeSeat (at least the ones that I saw) also seemed somewhat rough, so I'd like to cover it for the baby's comfort.

Thanks so much,
Anchita

ADS

broken4u05

I can not tell the difference in the seats weight wise. I have a safeseat for one of the kids i watch. He is 18 months old. He would have already grown out of the sungride but has 10 more pounds and 3 inches left to grow in the safeseat. Most people do not carry the child in the safeseat when they get up to 20 pounds because it id just heavy but it makes it easier on fast trips to just take the seat out and put it in a stroller and not unstrap the child each time. I also like the harness on the safeseat better. i think it doesn't get twisted as often. They are both great seats though so whatever you buy will be great.

Big difference is the size of the shell and the weight limit. The safeseat goes to 30 pounds and the sungride goes to 20 pounds. But I think there is not much different in weight of the seat. The safeseat fits most children way past 1 and the sungride can be grown out of sometimes earlier than 6 months so if you want to use an infant seat younger i would go for the safeseat but if you like to sling/ carry than the snugride will work for you

ThreeBeans

My advice: Get the SafeSeat and don't use it as a baby carrier (this is true for the Snugride as well).

Carseats are GREAT in cars, but not good as baby furniture. Babies are meant to be held ;)

Check out www.mayawrap.com

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Go for the safeseat. The weight difference in minimal, and if you're on the petite side, chances are you'll have a hard time managing the snugride once babe gets over 8 or 9lbs anyways.

Both the snugride and the safeseat will fit on any of the graco strollers with a bar. Is there a peg perego stroller at the store you're shopping for the car seat at? I'd just pick the safe seat up and try it on the peg perego and see. If the safe seat fits the snugride will definitely fit, and in most cases if the snugride fits the safeseat will fit. I'm just not sure about compatibility between graco carriers and peg perego strollers. ;)

FWIW, we started with a 29" snugride, and then decided to buy the safeseat when ds was 5.5 mos old. He was already pretty much too heavy to carry in the snugride, but it wasn't much difference moving to the safeseat. And I much much prefer the safeseat over the snugride.

If you do go with a snugride, make sure you get one with the up front adjuster. For the price difference though, you're way better off with the safeseat. :twocents:

A

anchita

Thank you all for such prompt and informative responses! I really appreciate that.

I had been leaning toward the SafeSeat anyway, and your advice has convinced me. I'll be getting one soon, after checking for its compatibility with the stroller that I finally decide upon.

I do intend to wear my baby. I had actually forgotten that it would mean not having to worry about lugging the car seat around so much. I'm leaning toward the Moby wrap right now. But I'll make my decision(s) after I attend my first NINO meeting in a week. I'm sure I'll end up with more than one wraps/carrriers, and I'm really looking forward to that :)

Thanks again!
Anchita

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC