kiddy website

ADS

creideamh

So this is the only booster seat that can be used on a plane? Why is this a really good booster (I know it's different than the old shield boosters, but how?)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Wait wait- if it can be used on a plane, does that mean they've got lap-only belt approval??? Sweet!

Also, does anyone know if they're going to make the minimum age 2, to agree with the current recommendations to RF until 2? Or are they going to make it 1? I know it won't be 9 months like it is in Europe. ETA: checked and found that it says 1. Hmmm...

Aurezalia

Wait wait- if it can be used on a plane, does that mean they've got lap-only belt approval??? Sweet!

Also, does anyone know if they're going to make the minimum age 2, to agree with the current recommendations to RF until 2? Or are they going to make it 1? I know it won't be 9 months like it is in Europe. ETA: checked and found that it says 1. Hmmm...

Yeah, their min is 1. Their reasoning is that the numbers (Whatever numbers they were referring to?) show that using their shield booster for a 1 year old is just as safe as rear-facing. :rolleyes: I'll certainly admit it's much safer than a typical 5-point harness, but as safe as rear-facing? Not so much.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I assume it's approved with the shield...which really doesn't make it much different than a combo seat used with a harness on the plane. I didn't poke around the website, though.

Considering their rep at Lifesavers kept insisting that the shield makes the seat as safe as rear-facing for a 1-year-old, I wouldn't hold my breath about a higher age minimum. :rolleyes:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Oh yeah, you told us about that. Grrrr.

I'll admit that if I HAVE to see a 1 year old FF, I'd rather see it in this. But barring extreme medical circumstances (I can name I think one, maybe 2) I'd rather not see it at all.

I'm excited about the lap-only approval, though. :D Good thing for planes, and also for cars like my dad's, with 3 lap belts across the back. Now I need to get my hands on one to see how it fits my kids...

Irishmama

I hope they got the weight rating for the shield upped like they wanted to. That would be awesome!

So third quarter of 2011 would be September?

monica-m

CPST Instructor
In poking around on their website I found instructions for using the Cruiserfix Pro on an airplane in booster mode :eek:. The FAA isn't going to approve that, right?

ETA: It also said something about a belt shortening clip for use on a plane when using the shield. It said that the BSC would be included with the seat. Does anyone have any idea if this is going to be a regular BSC or if it's a special airplane only one?

Pixels

In poking around on their website I found instructions for using the Cruiserfix Pro on an airplane in booster mode :eek:. The FAA isn't going to approve that, right?

ETA: It also said something about a belt shortening clip for use on a plane when using the shield. It said that the BSC would be included with the seat. Does anyone have any idea if this is going to be a regular BSC or if it's a special airplane only one?

The FAA doesn't approve seats, actually. FAA "approval" is part of the FMVSS 213 approval process. In order to be FAA approved, the seat must pass the rest of FMVSS 213 and then undergo inversion testing. They put the child restraint on a plane seat, put a dummy in the restraint, and then turn the whole thing up side down. If the dummy stays in the restraint, it passes the FAA portion.

Like the rest of FMVSS 213 approval, manufacturers self-certify, and then NHTSA does spot checks.

It could possibly gain FAA certification in booster mode if it can also pass the crash testing of 213 in booster mode with a lap only belt. But, no booster has been able to pass the head excursion testing without a shoulder belt. So, theoretically it is possible for a booster seat to pass, but in practicality I don't see it happening.

As for the BSC, I'm totally :confused:. Lap only belts with a tail that you pull to tighten can't be used with a BSC. BSCs are only for lap only belts with a retractor that does not lock. The only reason I can think of that it would even need a BSC is in order to move where the buckle hits, so that it doesn't end up where the belt guide is supposed to be or something. But I dunno. Many techs aren't even comfortable using BSCs, even though we all learned it in class. And then even techs who are all about teaching the parents to do it themselves, often say "leave it on, don't touch it, if it needs to be fixed for some reason bring it back to me and I'll fix it for you" without trying to teach the parent. I can't imagine trusting the general public to use a BSC properly.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
The belt shortening clip part totally baffles me. I am fairly confident in my ability to use one properly since I learned and practiced it just a week ago. (I finished my tech course work last week, I am waiting for my status to change from technician candidate to technician so I can "go green") but I would not trust the average parent to be able to properly use a belt shortening clip on their own. I would really like to be able to compare the Kiddy one to a standard belt shortening clip. I really need to go to a Ford dealership and order a couple to keep in my kit just in case.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Page 3 shows a clip being used to shorten the belt for use with the impact shield to keep the belt release from being caught between the armrest and the CR.

Momof3girls

Can some one explain why this is safe? Especially with a 1 yr old. I'm confused because all the old shield boosters were so horrible. Thanks :)

Phineasmama

I kinda want one :eek:

It would be so much easier for me if I could turn my DS FFing at 3 but I just don't feel comfortable enough to do it...this might be worthwhile to look at!

Baylor

Okay... So what do we think will be the price of these suckers? They are so darn pretty. What I am thinking is with my jumbo 3.5 yr old.. Maybe let him use Gn til limit. ( he has 1 slot left and is not approaching it yet but maybe this would be a good next step?
So maybe at almost 5?

bnsnyde

So what prompted people to create the old style shields? Were they not tested? Human being were not THAT much less intelligent in the 1980's?
The ads for seats from when I was a kid say they MEET ALL MOTOR SAFETY STANDARDS.

I wonder, in 20 years will people look at our seats and laugh?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC