Anyone seen car seat info on this crash? (death mentioned)

ADS

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Re: Anyone seen car seat info on this crash?

I had read some about the crash in the newspaper but there was no mention of what the children were riding in. The Jewish Community in Houston has raised a substantial amount of money for the care of the children. My heart aches for them.

NatesMamma

How awful! :crying: I'm curious about the seat/belt usage, too. But regardless, what a tragedy!!

It actually hits pretty close to home for me. My paternal grandparents were killed in a crash when I was a young child. They were leaving our house after a visit, and neither was restrained. They had 5 children ranging in age from 25 (my dad) to 14 at the time. That's the main reason I'm so passionate about passenger safety; I've had it hammered into my head my entire life what can happen in a crash. And yet, my father still rides unrestrained. :mad::thumbsdown::confused: (I do make him buckle when DS or I are in the car.)

Thoughts and prayers for all involved in that accident, especially the children.

Kat_Momof3

that is just tragic.

sadly, I know they were already doing better than a lot of people in TX... but so sad when I see the pics of those beautiful children.

And horrible for them to be going through all of this AND to have lost their parents.

I wonder if maybe the crash was just THAT severe.... except that Willa was fortunate to be protected.

I wonder if the boys were wearing seatbelts, but they didn't fit as they should.

JerseyGirl'sMama

I agree, it's horrible. I can't imagine. :(.

I can't believe that lying to the kids about their parents is the best choice. It might help them to recover initially, but the long-term affects would be worse IMO.

Phineasmama

Maybe Willa was in a booster but the boys needed to be in boosters and that's why they were hurt worse? What a sad story...

I also don't agree with lying to the kids but wow. I guess it's hard to know what to do in a situation like that.

Kat_Momof3

I get why... they don't want to stress the kids out while they should be recovering... it's not lying exactly... it's just saying they are in a place for grown-ups... which sadly, where they are SHOULD be only for grown ups...

It's going to be hard information for them to take and giving them a little bit of time to get through their surgeries and then be together when they are told is probably best... also, this gives the extended family time to be able to answer the immediate questions that will arise... "who will take care of us? who will we live with?"... they can set this all up first so the kids will know what's happening next.

luckyclov

I saw this story a few days ago. It made my heart ache. That poor family. :(

I'm wondering if Willa was in some sort of booster and the boys in seatbelts that possibly didn't fit properly. Their injuries may be suggestive of too much trauma to the soft ab/internal organs/spine due to a poorly positioned lap belt. They're alive, though, so they were restrained somehow, I assume.

Of course, it could have just been one of those unsurvivable crashes, even in the best of child restraint situations.

Last edited:

luckyclov

DS1 (8 and a half) just asked me what I was looking at, so I told him about the family and their story. He was a quiet for a second, then said, "Not a lot boys my age are in a booster seat anymore. Were those boys?". I said I didn't know for sure, but maybe not. His response? "I wish everyone could know how important it is to ride the right way in the car.".

Me too. Sigh. These stories break my heart.

Everyone in both families was wearing a seatbelt, according to the police report. But it simply wasn't enough.
Taken from here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/12/berry-family-car-crash_n_896403.html

Last edited:

NatesMamma

I still just can't wrap my brain around this. So, so terrible. :( However, it's wonderful how much support the family is getting.

The second article posted gives a little more info about the passengers in the second car. Looks like a family with a 1-year old little girl. Mom died, Dad is/was critical. Fortunately, the todder (RF, I wonder?) wasn't hurt.

NatesMamma

DS1 (8 and a half) just asked me what I was looking at, so I told him about the family and their story. He was a quiet for a second, then said, "Not a lot boys my age are in a booster seat anymore. Were those boys?". I said I didn't know for sure, but maybe not. His response? "I wish everyone could know how important it is to ride the right way in the car."

Smart kid.

laudymama

My friend posted a link to this on FB the day it happened asking for prayers for the family. Her husband was a long time childhood friend of the father. My first thoughts were how sad and I wonder what kind of seat situation they had going on. Considering "most people" just follow legal minimums it would be my guess in addition to the crash just being that bad. I'm not sure if I could find out from my friend or not....it would be a very touchy situation I think.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC