Hate the prontp

Baylor

Hate the pronto

I bought this seat for back up and if I had an extra kid in my car. Well I can not stand it. It is just so flimsy. However, my son fits great in it. I showed him the Monterey and he balked. He does not want that much seat anymore. I cannot blame him and for all my concerns, He gets some input at 7.

I have to keep him next to DS2 GN behind the driver and while we were driving yesterday I had a thought. Should we get hit on the driver side his head could then slam into the GN.

How padded is the Parkway or any other with good head wings but not too much seat around him?

Last edited:
ADS

3acorns4Christy

Honestly, at 7 he gets SOME imput but going to something that just isn't working in your vehicle. Your voice trumps his imput, so I'd put him back in the Monterey.

Kat_Momof3

Look, he's 7... he may change his mind... do you own it yet?? Is there a store near you where he can see it in person (hard to find, but I figured I'd ask)... do you have anyone from here who lives close to you that owns one??

Also... does he sleep in the car?

Baylor

Look, he's 7... he may change his mind... do you own it yet?? Is there a store near you where he can see it in person (hard to find, but I figured I'd ask)... do you have anyone from here who lives close to you that owns one??

Also... does he sleep in the car?

Yes. Not often but we have a few shore trips coming and he will sleep then. I agree the final decision is mine, However If I can find him something that feels a little more open and has some more head protection, that would be a great compromise.

christineka

The monterey has width adjustable torso wings, so it can be open, yet still have sip. The parkway's wings are big, but not as big as the monterey's. There's the safety 1st boost air that has some huge headwings, but no torso wings. (I saw some at a walmart, but not my walmart.)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
My daughter thinks the Compass Pathway feels less confining than the Monterey, and I'm okay with the headwings on it. It's not the tallest booster on the market, but if the 17" torso measurement is accurate, it should get him to a point where you feel comfortable going backless full time.

Baylor

The monterey has width adjustable torso wings, so it can be open, yet still have sip. The parkway's wings are big, but not as big as the monterey's. There's the safety 1st boost air that has some huge headwings, but no torso wings. (I saw some at a walmart, but not my walmart.)

I messed with the Air booster today at Walmart... I don't think that will work either..

I may just get a Monterey and then either sell it or send it back. I wish I could see a parkway in person. I may call a few baby boutiques and see if any of them have one.

Kat_Momof3

you know, having seen in other pics that he's a pretty broad-shoulder'd boy, I think he'd get more time in the Monterey anyway, as it has a wider seat and has the expandable body support.

For sleeping, you can't beat the deep headwings (for kids who fit the seat well) of the Monterey.

I'd not give him a choice and insist he use the Monterey as his main ride... the pronto is fine for a spare.

Heck, he's 7... explain how the extra protection makes it safer (though I want to clarify for lurkers and those who have other boosters that this is because it fits him, fits their vehicle, they could afford it, and it will be installed and used correctly... a narrower child might be safer in the pronto because of a better fit or because it's the best seat affordable)... I know for Ruthie, despite her probooster that is coming not being remotely pink, she's heard me tell her brother (when he wanted to know why I preferred him in a highback (though once he was old enough, if he wasn't sleeping, I gave him an option of using the backless) and she took one look at the all-gray Recaro Probooster and immediately was excited because... "Mommy, you're ordering me an even safer booster seat?"

for her, it is... she's not as much of a car sleeper these days, but when she starts getting tired, she'll still lean against the headrest and body support, and of course, I'm sure it can't hurt in the event of a side crash.

So maybe he'll want to ride in what you feel is safest... kids want to be safe.

Baylor

Thanks for the input. I am going to mull it for now.. Make a decision this week. anyone who has any input on their favorite booster is appreciated.

I drive a 2001 Grand Caravan and he rides second row behind driver currently.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
bumblebee3-2.jpg

Baylor

That is the Compass booster? That may be worth a shot! Thanks! I will see if I can find one to look at close to me.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Geez, I'm sorry for bigness, will try to fix!

And yeah, that's the Compass. My daughter was probably about your son's size in that photo -- maybe a few pounds heavier. Note that she's pretty broad in the shoulders as well.

Baylor

I just looked it up, I see a 530,540, 570... Is there much difference between them? More plush? What I care most about is sip for the head.

how about the 505?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
YES! (caps for emphasis, not for obnxiousness)

The 505/530/540 often position the lap belt too high. The 570 has red belt guides for the lap belt that make the fit much better.

Baylor

Thanks... Can I ask how high the headrest goes? Thanks for the input! That looks like a good seat for us to try.

Baylor

Awesome. I am off to find a good deal. Thanks for the information! I asked DS and he likes it.. Bumble Bee is one of his favorite transformers.

Thanks for the picture. It makes me also consider the Monterey because I love all that extra protection and it does not look as big as I thought it was.

Thanks so much for help! I really appreciate it.

Can I ask why with all the options, you picked that? It is so closely priced to the Parkway. Thanks!

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The ParkwaySGL had not yet been released when I needed another booster, and I wanted LATCH (I realize there is no additional protection but it is a personal preference). The Monterey is a terrific fit but daughter doesn't love it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC