Flying Briitsh Airways with a 3-year old

swissmama

Thought I'd add to the "what to do on an airplane" posts.

I'm flying trans-Atlantic tomorrow with my 3 1/2 year old DS who is 46 lbs and 42 inches. On the British Airways website it says they accept kids in car seats to the age of 3 max. I'd been planning on using our Radian (one of the main reasons I got a Radian was for flying!) on the flight thereby eliminating concerns of how to avoid desk checking the seat.

So now I have 2 questions.

Does anyone have any experience with BA and using car seats for bigger kids? Could I try to bring the seat onboard and use it anyway?

If I do have to gate check, what are your recommendations for packing?

I definitely need the seat at the other end and won't be able to find any suitable alternative here in Europe which would fit the bill. To make things more complicated, we're connecting flights in London, so I would have to try to win over 2 sets of crews.
What would you do?

Last edited:
ADS

swissmama

Thanks for the suggestion.
My conclusion is that I'm super impressed with BA's service and in love all over again with the Radian. Since people didn't register what I was carrying, I just walked onto the plane, installed the seat in a snap Airbus 319 on the way to London) whilst DS stood in front of the seat. The only challenge was the headrest which I had to squish all the way up and then wedged the seat under. The fit was good and DS was super comfortable.
On the transAtlantic leg, the flight attendant actually stopped by and asked if the install had been done by a flight attendant or checked by one. She then did a pretty thorough job of double checking the fit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC