Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Flying Briitsh Airways with a 3-year old

Thought I'd add to the "what to do on an airplane" posts.

I'm flying trans-Atlantic tomorrow with my 3 1/2 year old DS who is 46 lbs and 42 inches. On the British Airways website it says they accept kids in car seats to the age of 3 max. I'd been planning on using our Radian (one of the main reasons I got a Radian was for flying!) on the flight thereby eliminating concerns of how to avoid desk checking the seat.

So now I have 2 questions.

Does anyone have any experience with BA and using car seats for bigger kids? Could I try to bring the seat onboard and use it anyway?

If I do have to gate check, what are your recommendations for packing?

I definitely need the seat at the other end and won't be able to find any suitable alternative here in Europe which would fit the bill. To make things more complicated, we're connecting flights in London, so I would have to try to win over 2 sets of crews.
    What would you do?
    Last edited by swissmama; 07-16-2011 at 07:11 AM. Reason: pressed send too early

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Flying Briitsh Airways with a 3-year old

A bit late, but a folded Radian might fit in the overhead bin...
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Senior Community Member rachelandtyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
    A bit late, but a folded Radian might fit in the overhead bin...
    This was my first thought.
    DD1: 14, finally five-stepping!
    DS: 10, LBTB, Harmony Youth Booster
    DD2: 6, Chicco KidFit, HBTB w/ SS

Thanks for the suggestion.
    My conclusion is that I'm super impressed with BA's service and in love all over again with the Radian. Since people didn't register what I was carrying, I just walked onto the plane, installed the seat in a snap Airbus 319 on the way to London) whilst DS stood in front of the seat. The only challenge was the headrest which I had to squish all the way up and then wedged the seat under. The fit was good and DS was super comfortable.
    On the transAtlantic leg, the flight attendant actually stopped by and asked if the install had been done by a flight attendant or checked by one. She then did a pretty thorough job of double checking the fit.