Subaru Impreza RF options

stef

Hi everyone,

Our 5 month old is 21 pounds and about to outgrow his infant seat. So my question is...

Which convertible carseats can fit RF in a Subaru Impreza? Ours is a 2006 Impreza wagon.

Both parents are tall so sliding our front seats up is not an option. Our other vehicle is a 2008 Mazda 5 and we would be switching the seat between the two cars. I have read some people have fit the Marathon 65 RF or the Boulevard 65 RF? And that people have trouble fitting the Radian 65 RF, especially the XT version? So besides the Marathon or Boulevard are there other options?

Thanks!

ADS

Jonah Baby

My Mom has an '08 (?) Impreza sedan. We often use the Combi Coccoro rear facing behind passenger. If I remember right, the Graco MyRide made a very nice fit as well. I'm not wild about the install for the Evenflo Titan, but I think it also worked okay once in.
My Mom's partner is over 6ft tall (he drives when in the vehicle.) I don't believe any rear facing carseat can safely be installed behind the drivers seat when all the way back and partly reclined.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You can fit nearly anything you want in your car, provided you're only looking at one seat for now. The Radian can work (all of the Radians are the same, there would be no installation differences between a 65 and an XT). The Radian would be the trickiest, I'm sure, and if the seats are all the way back it may not work, but I've put it in a couple of Imprezas before.

The Coccoro will fit behind a front seat passenger, easily. The True Fit will fit with the front seat up a notch or two. The Britaxes and Triumph 65 should fit well.

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Also, how often will you be switching seats? If it's every now and then, not a big deal. If it's daily, I recommend you get two seats.

Wendy

stef

Thank you for the responses so far! It can be a very confusing process trying to find the right seat!

Our little guy's weight is top percentile despite starting "small", so we figure he will be over 30 lb by a year. We are looking for a seat with a higher weight limit so that he can stay RF longer - that's why the Britax Boulevard 65 and Marathon 65 seem like good options for us. We wouldn't be switching between cars more than once per week. I don't know if they would be a huge pain to move between cars though? Or too wide?

We are in Canada so the Coccoro is not available as far as I know but it looks like a great seat for those who are in the US!

Any other info or options would be appreciated. :D

Cryssy Jane

I have a 2006 subaru impreza sedan and no, you won't be able to fit a radian rf with the seats back. Won't happen, even in the center. I can do it, however I'm only 5 feet, any taller than me and it would pretty much be a no go. I have not had a true fit rf in my car so I can't say anything about that. I've had a blvd 65 rf behind the driver seat, but again the seats were up for me. The blvd 70 requires about the same amount of room rf as the blvd 65, about 5 clicks up from the back of the seat track. The combi coccoro fits with the front seats almost all the way back.

Sadly the 03-08s (?) didn't have very much front to back room in the back seat. I know I could not sit comfortably in the back seat with the front seats pushed back in my car.

ETA: pictures:
Britax roundabout 55 (front seat about 3 clicks from the back)
IMG_4437.jpg

radians (front seat 4 clicks from the back)
IMG_0390.jpg

knee room in front seat with radian behind:
IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

Combi coccoro (front seat all the way back)
IMG_0395.jpg

Marathon 65:
100_1532.jpg

I'll see if I can find more pictures after dinner.

Last edited:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Ah, ok. I've moved this to the Canadian forum, then.

Americans, the Boulevard 65 is the new Boulevard, what we call the Boulevard 70.

Wendy

stef

So it looks like the Radian is crossed off the list, since I wouldn't be able to fit in the car at the same time as the baby. ;)

The 2006 Impreza we have really does have a small back seat area. The Boulevard is quite wide and we were concerned that it would not leave much room on either side for our other passengers (our others are not in car seats). The Marathon looks a little narrower and good overall but they are not sold locally, so maybe online ....Actually, the Coccoro looks perfect, but unfortunately not available to Canadians!

stef

There would usually be a 9 year old in the backseat as well.

We are going to try out a Graco My Ride 65. They are on sale for $130 Cdn (from $230) at Toys R Us and I think they let you try it in the car before purchasing. We will look at the Evenflo Triumphs as well if they are in stock. I'll let you know how it goes!

Turns out the Radians are all backordered for weeks everywhere but they do not fit RF very well without putting the passenger seat further forward. We found the Boulevard locally so that will be our last chance if the others don't work.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC