Question s/o: Clearance to top of shell, removing headrests

Dorothy

I've been interested in some recent threads and comments about different seats and their hard-shell-above-head rules, people's preference for allowing extra room, removing headrest from behind rfing children, etc. Just out of sheer curiosity, how many of you would rather turn a 3+ yo ffing than use a seat right up to the 1" mark?

(This is more hypothetical than personal, although my 3.5 yo DD is at the 2" mark. I kind of dread flipping her for a variety of reasons, but this discussion will become more and more relevant to us over the next 6-12 mos.)

Sent from my Eris using Car-Seat.Org. Ignore the Autocorrect...

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm with the others. I'd use it right up to that mark (although preferably I'd have it in a position where it could be braced.)

Dorothy

ketchupqueen said:
I'm with the others. I'd use it right up to that mark (although preferably I'd have it in a position where it could be braced.)

Interesting... Let's say its not a Radian or Britax/in a vehicle where bracing is not allowed. From your use of the word ideally, I'm thinking you'd still go to the 1" mark. Is that right?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Interesting... Let's say its not a Radian or Britax/in a vehicle where bracing is not allowed. From your use of the word ideally, I'm thinking you'd still go to the 1" mark. Is that right?

Yes, that's right. But, I'd prefer braced. Other brands allow bracing, or at least touching, too. And since we have a van there is always the third row. If I couldn't brace/touch, I'd have it as close as possible to the front seat without actually touching, unless one or the other disallowed that.

Dorothy

ketchupqueen said:
Yes, that's right. But, I'd prefer braced. Other brands allow bracing, or at least touching, too. And since we have a van there is always the third row. If I couldn't brace/touch, I'd have it as close as possible to the front seat without actually touching, unless one or the other disallowed that.

Well, that's good to know. I keep the tops of seats (passenger and car seat) as close as possible without actually touching while occupied.

KaiLing

My giant kid outgrew everything but the 45 lbs radians before age 2.5, so I would have no trouble following the rules to the letter, just because RF that passes the federal standards is better for me than an under 3 FF.

I know, I know, that's not what you asked. But that's the kid I got.

Dorothy

KaiLing said:
My giant kid outgrew everything but the 45 lbs radians before age 2.5, so I would have no trouble following the rules to the letter, just because RF that passes the federal standards is better for me than an under 3 FF.

I know, I know, that's not what you asked. But that's the kid I got.

You know, I totally thought about situations like yours before posting. I was just thinking it might be an interesting question since it has kind of come up in several recent threads.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I think of it like this, the reason we want to brace and have plenty of shell above a rfing child's head is to avoid head injury. Once a child turns ffing, the most common major injury is head injury.

Dorothy

safeinthecar said:
I think of it like this, the reason we want to brace and have plenty of shell above a rfing child's head is to avoid head injury. Once a child turns ffing, the most common major injury is head injury.

That's exactly why I think its such an interesting question/discussion!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC