Update: Jackson's speech therepy :)

arly1983

He has been in speech therepy for 7 weeks now...

He knows three signs: eat, more, car

He is saying seven words: eat, more, banana, apple, cookie, shoes, nose, oh, and choo choo if that counts..

Not bad at all for a child who would say nothing 8 weeks ago.

He still doesn't use these words in communication, just repeats them. If we say/sign "eat eat" he runs to his booster seat like he is doing in this video...

ETA: I forgot about "no"

Last edited:
ADS

Mom2nj

That's great, glad to hear he is starting to communicate some!!!! Nice table and chairs, we have the same one, with the same booster, except our booster left terrible marks on the chair so I had to duck tape the corners.... Keep up the good work!

arly1983

That's great, glad to hear he is starting to communicate some!!!! Nice table and chairs, we have the same one, with the same booster, except our booster left terrible marks on the chair so I had to duck tape the corners.... Keep up the good work!

Really, LOL, now I am going to have to go look!

JaRylan

Oh that is so great to hear! Wow, it is amazing what the right intervention can do for a child. I'm currently attempting to get Rylan something besides 20 minutes of speech therapy once a week at school...grrr.

arly1983

Oh that is so great to hear! Wow, it is amazing what the right intervention can do for a child. I'm currently attempting to get Rylan something besides 20 minutes of speech therapy once a week at school...grrr.

It really wa amazing, six weeks of looking at us like we were nuts while he was doing his therepy and BAM out of nowhere he starts mimicing us:D

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Allie started speech therpy about 2 weeks ago say the therapist once but we are hoping it will help. she just jabers and has a very limitied understandable vocabulary at all.
That's great that your ds is showing sings already and saying something!!! it's just stepping stones to get better! :)

MsFacetious

My girls have been able to buckle for a LONG time and they have never unbuckled if that helps. ;)

I am so excited for you! That is totally awesome! Go Jackson! I remember that, very well when those first few words come out. Just wait, he will start using them meaningfully and SHOCK you soon. :)

arly1983

My girls have been able to buckle for a LONG time and they have never unbuckled if that helps. ;)

I am so excited for you! That is totally awesome! Go Jackson! I remember that, very well when those first few words come out. Just wait, he will start using them meaningfully and SHOCK you soon. :)

Thanks Chelsae, it is probably the most gratifying moment of my life. (well, and the day my kid were born, though I feel like I struggled more with his speech than his birth)

remken

Yeah Jackson. My 2nd dd was in speech therapy from the time she was about 3.5 until she was in 6th grade. Remy only had to be in it for about 6 months. When he was about 2.

vamom

Ds started speech therapy (2 30 minutes sessions a week)at 33 months with basically no vocab and no interests in signs. He was very frustrated. Some days he would have great progress, but his language was very inconsistant. At 44 months his language just took off. Before I longed for him to be able to communicate with me, now I just wish he would stop talking for 3 seconds!!!

Ds still has alot of articulation problems, as he has facial muscle weakness. He also drops alot of sounds. He still repeats alot of what you say back - but now he can use that to try and calculate a response.

We are going to start listening therapy as we believe ds has an auditory processing/discrimination problem too. He has a really hard time with recall, but we are learning how to work together to talk around the word until we can figure it out. He still gets frustrated and hits himself, but atleast he knows that we are here for him and we will work it out.

He also developed a very good expressive vocab, memorizing stucture that he heard, but no grasp of the meaning. We have spent the last year focusing on very simple concepts and he is making progress.

I took alot of heat that he just needed time to develop and that boys were slower then girls in language development, but ds wanted help.

Ds big turn around came right after a wiggles concert. He had been abused by his dad at a visit that weekend and was very angry. He alternated between not speaking and raging. I almost cancelled our trip. We got to meet the wiggles backstage and he was very taken by the experience. He watched the concert in awe, with very little of his usual anxiety. After the concert he started talking and he hasn't stopped yet (we go for follow up therapy every tour, lol).

I have heard of many similar stories with autistic kids, especially at disney world.

I'm glad Jackson is doing well.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC