No 1" rule for RF On-side Air?

bnsnyde

I bought this for travel and relatives (returned the Scenera) b/c it seems to have a bit more padding but seems almost exactly the same. Anyway, Dorel just said I don't need an inch above her head RF. Her head can be even with the shell.
How is this safe?

I won't use it past 40 inches (she's 39), but I don't get why there does not need to be an inch. The sticker too claims that head just cannot be above shell. Huh? Right now she has at least an inch, a bit more.

(And, is this seat taller shell-wise than the Scenera?)

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
They say the same thing about the Complete Air. Personally, I would not use the seat for a RF child if the child's head was that close to the top.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Dorel CS told me it is the same shell as the Scenera, so no, not taller.

Pixels

No, it's not any taller shell-wise than the Scenera.

Yes, it's allowed to use it with the head even with the top.

No, my child's head won't get within two inches of the top of any seat in a sedan. If the child was in the third row of a vehicle with the second row removed, sure. I'd go to the top or a bit beyond if the seat allowed it.

bnsnyde

Good to know.
What's the danger in a sedan that isn't present with the third row (if the second is removed)?
Thanks.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
bnsnyde said:
Good to know.
What's the danger in a sedan that isn't present with the third row (if the second is removed)?
Thanks.

Nothing for the kid's head to ram into.

bnsnyde

Makes sense.

What about middle seat of sedan?

And would 2 or 3 inches of shell really solve that head-ramming problem? I know there must be tons of movement in a crash. Seems odd all seats don't have a standard for AMPLE shell space.

I'm just imagining most RF kids have a seat behind their head, and some kids eventually go up to just 1 inch of shell space (or even with the shell with some Dorels) if that's in the manual and the parents RF beyond the minimum.

Pixels

Middle seat of a sedan, it would depend. Unless the crash is straight on, the kid will ramp up and to the side, so I still want clearance, you know?

With a properly tightened harness, the child only ramps up about two inches. Watch crash test videos. TC has a bunch.

Most parents don't RF much past 1 and 20, if at all.

Dorothy

Pixels said:
Middle seat of a sedan, it would depend. Unless the crash is straight on, the kid will ramp up and to the side, so I still want clearance, you know?

With a properly tightened harness, the child only ramps up about two inches. Watch crash test videos. TC has a bunch.

Most parents don't RF much past 1 and 20, if at all.

Hmmm... I'm finding this discussion interesting. DD has 1.5-2" to the top of the shell in her MR. I've been feeling a bit uneasy since there is barely any clearance between the top of the MR and front passenger headrest. I don't want to flip her yet, but I'm growing weary of eyeing that headrest every time I buckle DD in...

Back to the OP... ;)

Sent from my Eris using Car-Seat.Org. Ignore the Autocorrect...

KaiLing

Does cosco / dorel make seats that RF both even to the shell and 1" below? If so, do we think they were tested differently? Or did they change their opinion on their testing set up?

My brain is fuzzy, sorry if this doesn't make sense. I'm wondering about testing the ramping up is all.

bnsnyde

I could take out the headrest behind my daughter's head in her RF Britax. She has enough clearance but she's not a baby who sits way down in the seat, that's for sure!

But if I remove the headrest then the baby sitting in that seat doesn't get the benefit of it. I'm thinking it could block projectiles or something in a crash. Though I do try to keep nothing in the van. We do have to put stuff in the trunk sometimes.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC