Guest Blog: Tether Anchor Weight Advice: Assessing the Risks - Automated Feed from the Official Car-Seat.Org Blog!

ADS

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
We appreciate your comments at the blog! Please leave a note if you have an opinion on this important topic!

Baylor

As a Car Seat newbie here, I find all this information confusing as I have always been told to Tether and after having it explained why, Can not see why it would be better not to.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Baylor said:
As a Car Seat newbie here, I find all this information confusing as I have always been told to Tether and after having it explained why, Can not see why it would be better not to.

That's sort of the problem all (most) of us are having.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I have limited knowledge on the subject of top tethers, but it seems to me like anchoring the seat to a top tether that isn't approved for the higher weights would have to be better than not anchoring the seat at all. Likewise if there are no approved tethers and no approved retrofits available, a reasonably solid alternative (such as a cargo tie down) also seems like it would be better than nothing. What's the worst that can happen? The tether might fail in a crash. But it's guaranteed to fail if it's not clipped to anything at all.

And yet, for fear of the unknown, we don't tether and we don't recommend tethering because "the manual says not to."

Obviously this is a different issue from the lower anchors, because the option of using a seat belt (should) always be available for larger children.

bnsnyde

Brigala, I agree word for word!

I absolutely tether all the time for my higher-weight kid.

A bigger issue of confusion is latch. Some issues with lower latch make no sense whatsoever. Nobody is on the same page. But that's another topic.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC