South Carolina CRS laws - Crazy!!!

mommy2jana

I was looking up booster laws in SC for a friend who's dd is 8 yrs old, but only weighs 45 lbs.

While reading the laws....my mouth gaped open!!! :eek:

First:
SECTION 56-5-6420. Transportation of children with insufficient number of restraint devices. If all the seating positions with restraint devices are occupied by children under the age of six years, a child may be transported and the driver of the motor vehicle is not in violation of the provisions of this article, but priority must be given to children under the age of six years, according to their ages.

So...its ok to not have your child in a proper child restraint if you don't have enough child restraints. I know that they probably mean this to be in an emergency situation....but the way it is stated, it doesn't sound that way. :thumbsdown:

Secondly:
SECTION 56-5-6430. Use of restraint device not required under certain circumstances. The provisions of this article do not apply if a child being transported is being fed, has a physical impairment, or a medical problem or any distress which makes it impractical to use a child restraint system. Alternate restraint protection, such as safety belts, must be utilized if possible.

This is where you get the nutsos who will breastfeed while driving and the law says its ok!!!! :eek:

Anyway, I knew nobody else would understand other than you all here! :whistle:

ADS

Kellyr2

Right, so if I am transporting an extra kid, it's fine for me to just stick the kid in the front seat and buckle him in.
My guess is that this is why my mom used to tell me it was "fine" for a grandparent or anyone else who wasn't the primary caregiver to drive the kid around without a seat. Because the way the law is written, you don't "have" to transfer your seats to another car. Which is the dumbest law ever.
I assume the GA law used to be written like that (where my family lives) but I think they've toughened up recently.

mommy2jana

Yeah, I think GA law used to be like that....I lived in GA most of my life. I hope they've toughened up for the sake of all my friends kids! :)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Michigan's law is very similar. :mad: A proposed booster law in Michigan is languishing in committee (yet again, this has happened when booster laws were proposed in past year's legislative sessions, too). :(

Melizerd

WI had that clause about "comfort of a child" or something that allowed you to feed a child until LAST YEAR :eek: it's been changed now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC