What if he really IS protesting RF???

VoodooChile

I'll preface this by noting that I'm NOT wanting to turn him FF, but OH. MY. GOSH. DS has been an absolute nightmare to get into his seat lately (think a 20 minute battle that leaves me sore), and he does NOT do this in dh's car (don't get me started: "the recommendation is to rf to 2..."). It's the same seat (classic MA), we've had them since dd was a toddler, I'm assuming a phase of some sort (annoying phase), but RF seat--tantrum. FF seat--no tantrum. What can I do to make getting him in there a little easier (I do everything I can already in terms of speed and distraction, and I've heard every form of "Just turn him" already :mad:).

ADS

msg221

He may just be in that phase where he's going to be difficult about getting into his seat. Ethan pulled the same thing with his parents and me around the time he was about 27 months old. He eventually stopped. If things like trying to distract him, talking to him, tickling him, and all that didn't work, we finally resorted to just going the not fun route and had to get physical (as in physically forcing him to sit down and holding him there to be strapped in) because otherwise we could have sat there for hours trying to do it the nice way.

My godchildren's mother recently turned them around (at 3 years and 1 month) and Zain actually looked petrified the first ride we went with him FF. At one point he even looked like he was about to cry, but he just sat there in stone faced silence for the 25 minute ride to Costco! He and his twin sister are still RF in my car though. They haven't ridden in it since they've been FF in their mom's car and I'm kind of wondering how that's going to go!

bnsnyde

Mine was born 7/2009 and did the same thing. And it is getting better just the last 2 months. Our Britax is not easy to put tantruming kids in, either.

It helps if I praise him like crazy when he goes in. Enough so everybody stares. Not that they are not staring anyway as we load the van. Sometimes it is so painful I thought a guy was going to call the police. The baby was screaming. The toddler was screaming, and I was headfirst into the hatch trying to buckle the RF preschooler. Probably looked like no adult was there. But you better believe when we pull away, we're safe. :)

The mom next to me in the lot testerday was waiting while her almost 2-year-old got into his seat. Finally she had to strap him in while he screamed. It was bad, lol. He is the biggest child for his age I have ever seen and FF. I guess I'd use a Radian if he were mine (since I THINK he'd fit), but anyway, I think it's just the age.

Good luck!

babygirlsmom1005

Marshall is a little younger than your DS....he fights me 90% of the time....sigh. 30 weeks pregnant, yeah it gets a touch painful and I keep telling myself it is just a phase. He does fight harder in certain seats (right now his True Fit is almost impossible for me to get him into). The seat he is in now (Radian XT), it is actually quite easy for me to pin him down and strap him in. I cannot imagine the fight FF'ing with him to strap him in.....he'd slide right onto the floorboard. His isn't direction, more he doesn't want to be restrained by anything.

mlohry

My DD is 28 mos and a few months back she started in on occasionally protesting RF, I got her some M and M's and if she is having a tough time I tell her the next time you get in your seat easily, you can get 1 M and M, it really works for her. Sometimes I randomly give her one, just to remind her that I appreciate that she is being easy going with her seat.
I also have her help me buckle in, she loves that too. I also NEVER give in to her protests. I always win this one.

turtlemama

DS2 is only a month younger than your DS (I remember you on the p.com board lol) and he has also started fighting me when I try to put him in his seat. I try and get him in and he throws a fit, so I stand back and wait a minute them tell him to sit down, he goes "can I sit?" Then he waits for me to say yes and then he sits and gets buckled with no problem. I'm not sure why he does this, but just stepping back and letting him scream for a second seems to work every time. He has never been FF though, so I don't know if that would make a difference.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC