Help getting others to RF past a year..

AmbersMommy

I belong to a due date group from when I was due with my son. Which was Sept 2010. Well a lot of the moms seem to think that since its summer and the baby can not get AC from vents pointed right at them that they HAVE to more them FF. I have mentioned how important it is to ERF and the dangers that come with FF so early. But the AC not getting blown right on them, sun coming in from the rear window of the truck etc is a bigger issue then safety. So please help me with how I can try more then I already have to let these parents know the childs safety is more important then sun from the back window, ac vents, etc.

Thanks!!

ADS

Pixels

You don't get any do-overs. I'm passionate about child passenger safety because I don't ever want to find myself saying "if only."

FWIW, my DD doesn't like the back windows open because it's too much wind on her. She actually gets cold, even on an 80 degree day. If ever I'm worried about my kids being too hot, I just open the windows. Because they are rear facing, the air flow is different, and they get blasted right in the face.

Dorothy

Pixels said:
You don't get any do-overs. I'm passionate about child passenger safety because I don't ever want to find myself saying "if only."

FWIW, my DD doesn't like the back windows open because it's too much wind on her. She actually gets cold, even on an 80 degree day. If ever I'm worried about my kids being too hot, I just open the windows. Because they are rear facing, the air flow is different, and they get blasted right in the face.

Yes. :) Except, my DD begs for the windows to be down. She likes the wind in her face. I roll them down to blow the hot air out, and she always fusses when I put them up.

Sent from my Eris using Car-Seat.Org. Ignore the Autocorrect...

Brianna

I don't have AC in my car so that doesn't affect J rear or forward facing :) He's just fine with the windows down.

KaiLing

In person when discussing RF to 24 months, I like to first cite the AAP and then say "you know how their heads are just so big for their bodies until they're in preschool? In an accident their heads snap off their spines! I just couldn't handle that. So RF he is." In text it sounds terrible and confrontational, I know, but in person I kind of demonstrate the motion with my head and really embody the mother fearing for the baby's life, as that's what I am. In person it allows me to express my real true horror about my kid, and get that across. No one's been nasty to me about it yet. But I only say that once we're on topic, so maybe that's less confrontational? Or maybe I'm just a jerk?

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member

I like this quote (i'm borrowing and putting it as my FB status)

Phineasmama

Unfortunately all you can do is put the information out there...if they listen they listen, if they don't we'll just hope they aren't sorry about it later :thumbsdown:

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Unfortunately all you can do is put the information out there...if they listen they listen, if they don't we'll just hope they aren't sorry about it later :thumbsdown:

:yeahthatsad:

I am a member of an April 2010 group and many of the mamas have FF their LOs because their "mommy gut" tells them it's okay. I have tried my best to educate them but at the end of the day it's their child and their decision to make. There was actually a huge falling out over this about a month ago and it made me very sad. I hope and pray that these mamas are never in a situation that makes them regret their decision.

turtlemama

I've heard that pointing the AC vents straight up will circulate the air enough to get to the RFers in the back. It seems to work fine for my kids.

AmbersMommy

:yeahthatsad:

I am a member of an April 2010 group and many of the mamas have FF their LOs because their "mommy gut" tells them it's okay. I have tried my best to educate them but at the end of the day it's their child and their decision to make. There was actually a huge falling out over this about a month ago and it made me very sad. I hope and pray that these mamas are never in a situation that makes them regret their decision.

Oh man.. that's so hard!! I have been talking with the one who posted about putting her 9.5mo old in a Nautilus.. I seem to be getting "through" to her about how important it is. We talked about several different rear facing seats last night. Hoping I can keep her from putting that baby forward facing so early!

flipper68

Senior Community Member
That's a new "excuse" for me. :( I think it's just projecting: "I like to have the vent blasting directly on me when I'm hot. Since they don't have it, they must be uncomfortable." [Wouldn't the same be true in the winter: it's cold and the heat doesn't reach them?]

Frankly, I've rarely been around kids who complain about heat until they're way too hot. Even then it can be hard to get them to stop to come in and cool down.

The nephews (12 & 14) complain it's hot in my car because they're used to having vents directly on them (minivan), but once we get going, they're fine. A hot car is gonna be hot for everyone and it will take a few minutes to get comfortable.

I'd be more concerned about getting some air moving before the initial buckling up (A closed car can be stifling. Are the buckles too hot?) than the air circulation when driving.

At check events, most parents seem pretty receptive to the "Five times safer/less likely to have head/neck injuries." I usually add, "It's pretty important to protect the head and spinal cord." or "Funny, but we kinda like to keep the spinal cord in one piece."

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Oh man.. that's so hard!! I have been talking with the one who posted about putting her 9.5mo old in a Nautilus.. I seem to be getting "through" to her about how important it is. We talked about several different rear facing seats last night. Hoping I can keep her from putting that baby forward facing so early!

It is very difficult. We ended up losing a couple of members over the falling out. The worst part about it is that a couple of the LOs that are FF (and their mom's won't hear anything about ERF) aren't even 20 lbs yet. I have been trying to educate these ladies about ERF for about a year now and so much of it is falling on deaf ears BUT there are ladies who have listened and that is what makes it worth it. I continue to post links on FB in the hopes that someone will at least take the time to do a little research on the subject. Just remember, even if you only get through to one mama, you have made a difference.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC