Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

"This restraint is not a toy.."

This cracks me up. I'm reading my Monterey manual. Under the "Death or Serious Injury Can Occur" section it says...

"This restraint is not a toy. Do not let child play with it."

What about adults? Can we play? Because most of us oh here play with car seats from time to time.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: "This restraint is not a toy.."

That is awesome.. I hope so!! Otherwise there are too many people in violation for molesting their car seats...
    A five stepper and a booster rider

There are a number of people who like to use car seats in the house. I recently had a mom ask to keep the 10 year old century booster for the house.
    Christine *mom* to

Dd1 age 17 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 15 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd4 age 12 (Seatbelt), Ds2 age 10 (Probooster), Dd4 age 7 (rstv), and dd5 age 1 (rfing Pria)

Can I ask what would be so wrong with kids playing with it? Especially if it is not usable for a car restraint any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
    Can I ask what would be so wrong with kids playing with it? Especially if it is not usable for a car restraint any more.
    I bet it says that on all restraints. And ones with straps could be very dangerous if the kids aren't supervised. Or say a two year old climbs on a turbo booster thinking he/she can lean against the back. It will fall and they will likely be hurt. No major injuries probably, but hurt.

I can think of reasons for kids not to play with them. It just made me laugh.

Yeah. I see that.. I guess the straps or people using them on chairs or whatever..

I love all the warnings these days.. My favorite are the DO NOT EAT ones on silly things..

I always giggle when the little plastic bags that Happy Meal crap toys come in say, "This bag is not a toy...". Well, darn.
    CPST & Mom to:
    Keep (11 yrs old, 57", 80 lbs), in an Olli, Ozzi & BB
    Sass (10 yrs old, 54", 76 lbs), in Santa Fe, Monterey & Olli
    Zilla (4 yrs old, 38", 36 lbs), FF in a PS, RXT & FR85
    Rollin' in a 2014 Ody, 2012 F-150 SuperCrew & Luigi, a peppy little 2012 Fiat 500

I use my oldest daughters old car seat as a chair in the laundry room to keep the youngest one at one place. But the seat is 10 years old and not used as a restraint anymore. But it's a nice chair, though.

CPS Fanatic

And remind me that carseats are not meant to be in my basement museum forever. I must use them and stop fearing I'll get them dirty.

I actually have a use for a basement seat for tomorrow. A new XTSL. Gulp.

She just HAD to be 35.5 lbs, huh? Otherwise the Scnera would still fit, holy cow! By height with an inch.
    I don't want to play with the XTSL in 90 degree weather! Nor take any seats out of our van. Those babies are in solid and tethered.

To the basement museum...or to Target to get a Scenera 40RF. Hmm..
    Seatbelt and 59" (9 YO)
    Harmony Youth (8 YO)/Clek Olli (6YO)
    Harmony Dreamtime (5 YO)
    Clek Fllo (3 YO, RF)/Graco 40 (15 months)
    + 2 Recaro Performance boosters in spare car

Quote Originally Posted by clov878 View Post
    I always giggle when the little plastic bags that Happy Meal crap toys come in say, "This bag is not a toy...". Well, darn.
    Manic panic actually states that it may stain blond or porous hair...

Quote Originally Posted by bnsnyde View Post
    And remind me that carseats are not meant to be in my basement museum forever. I must use them and stop fearing I'll get them dirty.

I actually have a use for a basement seat for tomorrow. A new XTSL. Gulp.

She just HAD to be 35.5 lbs, huh? Otherwise the Scnera would still fit, holy cow! By height with an inch.
    I don't want to play with the XTSL in 90 degree weather! Nor take any seats out of our van. Those babies are in solid and tethered.

To the basement museum...or to Target to get a Scenera 40RF. Hmm..
    You have NEW seats in your museum?! And are afraid to use them? I can't wait to get them out of the box and installed!
    If I'm here tell me to get back to writing
    Writing, dreaming, homeschooling mom to Beth, 10-03, and Ciara, 6-06
    http://dreamingatthesouthdam.wordpress.com/

My basement museum now includes an Akta Graco high back booster, a Britax high back booster and an Akta Graco Duologic RF. And the earlier mentioned 10-years-old Akta Graco. It used to include a Maxi Cosi high back booster, a Akta Graco infant seat and a BeSafe infant seat, but I've been a nice girl and moved the Maxi Cosi and the BeSafe to my mom's car, and given the Akta Graco to my brother in law who will become a dad any day now.

I sometimes wonder how much cash I've been spending on car seats for the past 10 years since my oldest daughter was born. Well spent money, though.