Question Big trip coming up... LOTS of questions!

Kiss Me Deadly

In about three weeks I am going on a 10+ hour trip to Tennessee to visit family while my husband is gone for training. I'll be taking my 3 children and our 30ish lb. dog.

I drive a Mazda 5 and have a 3.5 year old FF in a Frontier, a 2.5 year old RF in a RECARO, and a 5 month old RF in a CCO. I know I'm going to have limited space as far as luggage is concerned, so I'm dealing with that issue, but I'm desperately trying to figure out where all the kids and dog should go to maximize the amount of space I will have. I'm even considering buying another CCO (or two if the price is right), but I'm not sure that would be worth the money for the older girls. I am also concerned about securing the luggage properly so as not to have any projectiles. I'm really stressing over it, and I've rearranged seats so much I cannot see straight!

Anybody have any tips? Thank you!

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I did an 8-hour trip with 4 kids, 2 adults, and luggage in my Mazda 5. It was not safely loaded except for the fact that all the people were properly restrained (it was an emergency.)

Anyway, here's my suggestion. Put the dog in the front passenger seat, in a doggy-safety harness. Arrange the carseats whichever works best, but leave the driver-side 3rd row empty.

For the luggage, get duffle bags instead of suitcases, just one for each of you, and tuck them down between the seats, where the legroom would be if all 3 kids were forward-facing. Use up all the legroom you can; it's the safest way to transport stuff if you can't tie it down. Fold down the extra seat in the 3rd row and put the pillows/blankets/sleeping bags there (you put it on this side because once it's stacked it'll block your view if it's the passenger side.)

Did I miss anything? Do you have a stroller, and if so, how do you usually transport it?

Kiss Me Deadly

I do have a stroller. It's a Quinny Buzz, and I usually transport it folded in the 3rd row drivers side and take the wheels off and put them under the seat. It makes it more compact. I'd love to eventually get a luggage box for the top, but the Mazda dealership quoted us about $675, and that's just not in the cards right now. The more I'm looking at it, the more I REALLY wish I could get at least one more CCO for my other rear facer. It just takes up so much less room, and I could easily fit 2 into the 3rd row. I've tried the RECARO in the 3rd row, but it just doesn't work. The install will start out tight, and then wiggle loose within a day or 2. Right now I have the RECARO RF behind the drivers seat because I am the shortest, the Frontier in the 2nd row passenger side and the CCO in the 3rd row. I think this is the combo I came up with that leaves me with the most room cargo-wise.

I've made the trip back and forth to TN many times, but before I only had 2 kids, and was driving a Nissan XTerra, so the dog and luggage could easily fit in the hatch and be tied down no problem.

I'm also planning on utilizing the small cargo areas underneath the 2nd row seats, then installing the seats right before we leave.

DahliaRW

I don't know how long you plan to be gone, but sometimes you can rent a larger vehicle for not too much, especially if you priceline. So that might be an option.

New Dad Paul

Not that I can help you out with the room situation but if you're looking for a dog seat-belt / harness, I have the Canine Seat Belt by "Aspen Pet Products." I have a 35 lb dog who goes with me everywhere and I strap her in with this harness and it works great.

I know there are a ton of other pet harnesses out there (I haven't done the research) but the Aspen Pet Product harness has worked well for me so far.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC