3 across in '09 Corolla

hrice

We are looking at trading in DHs pick up for something that gets better gas mileage. We are buying used and we like the '09 Corolla because we can get it pretty cheap and it averages 30mpg.

Anyway I need to know how my seats will fit. I have 2RFers and a booster rider. My seats are:

Radians
MA70
MR65
EFT65

Monterey
FR85
Turbo
Literider

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You can probably fit a Radian center (more upright there), a MR outboard to puzzle over it, and have room for a HBB outboard other side.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
To warn you, buckling may be very tight. When we had a booster in a Corolla 3-across, we left it buckled and had Emma wiggle under the belt each time.

hrice

Hmm. Dustin is pretty big so that might be an issue. Maybe we could scoot the booster out to buckle then back?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hmm. Dustin is pretty big so that might be an issue. Maybe we could scoot the booster out to buckle then back?

You can. It gets heavy fast. I didn't try a Monterey- they are angled in such a way, you might have more buckling room with that. :) We were using a Turbo, which you have to get a hand around, can't go under.

luckyclov

Is there a headrest in the center? What about RN-LR-RN? Or LR/backless Monterey (are there side curtain bags?)-RN-RN? The RNs will also get you RF'ing the longest...since 3 across in a tight space with FF'ers tends to be a little more tricky. Just a thought.

DH used to have a Jeep Liberty. We had Monterey-CCO-Monterey. It was a tight fit, but managable...and it wasn't the primary vehicle, so we sucked it up for awhile. We found it easier to have the boosters outboard so we could move them out, load, buckle, move back and position. Keeping the seatbelt buckled and loading under was a massive PITB.

hrice

clov878 said:
Is there a headrest in the center? What about RN-LR-RN? Or LR/backless Monterey (are there side curtain bags?)-RN-RN? The RNs will also get you RF'ing the longest...since 3 across in a tight space with FF'ers tends to be a little more tricky. Just a thought.

DH used to have a Jeep Liberty. We had Monterey-CCO-Monterey. It was a tight fit, but managable...and it wasn't the primary vehicle, so we sucked it up for awhile. We found it easier to have the boosters outboard so we could move them out, load, buckle, move back and position. Keeping the seatbelt buckled and loading under was a massive PITB.

The issue with RNs OB in the Corolla (or any Toyota) is they can't touch the front seats. I don't think they will fit without touching.

I would like to keep Dustin in a HBB but I guess if he's center it's not as big of a priority. Im going to have to take seats to the dealership and play. I'm sure they'll love that. :rolleyes:

luckyclov

Ah, yes...sensors.

Aren't the newish Corollas a little longer than previous? If you guys aren't a tall family and you can get the RNs a bit more upright, it may still be worth a try-out, atleast...?

hrice

clov878 said:
Ah, yes...sensors.

Aren't the newish Corollas a little longer than previous? If you guys aren't a tall family and you can get the RNs a bit more upright, it may still be worth a try-out, atleast...?

I'm 6' lol. :)

I'm going to try though.

honeydew

I'm 5'8" and I can't put a rearfacing RN on the driver's side in my 05 Corolla and drive comfortably. Of course the passenger side is an option, but makes the front passenger very uncomfortable if they're over 5'5"ish. I've just determined that my Radians are for FF only in my vehicle.

What about your CCO and MA70? I have the CCO behind the driver's seat now and there is at least an inch of space between the seat back and the car seat. I think my seat is 1 click away from being all the way back.

hrice

honeydew124 said:
I'm 5'8" and I can't put a rearfacing RN on the driver's side in my 05 Corolla and drive comfortably. Of course the passenger side is an option, but makes the front passenger very uncomfortable if they're over 5'5"ish. I've just determined that my Radians are for FF only in my vehicle.

What about your CCO and MA70? I have the CCO behind the driver's seat now and there is at least an inch of space between the seat back and the car seat. I think my seat is 1 click away from being all the way back.

The CCO will work for a bit but I'll need to return it to it's owner in January. Maybe I can do RF CCO/RF RN/Monterey.

Isn't the PW slimmer than the Monterey? Maybe I need one if those. :)

luckyclov

Isn't the PW slimmer than the Monterey? Maybe I need one if those:)
It didn't work for us when I was trying to accomplish a 3-across. The back is definitely narrower and so is the back end of the base, but it "poofs" out in the middle.

luckyclov

I cut some of the PWSG off in the pic, but looking down, you can get an idea of how the base is shaped:

9.jpg

3.jpg

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
In the Corolla, I found that the PWSG was about the same as the Turbo for buckling in a 3 across. That is, a pain. ;)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Two Radians (rfing and ffing) and a Monterrey will fit and the booster won't be too difficult to buckle but you are not going to be able to accomplish not touching the front seats with you guys being so tall. Even ffing you are going to be having knees against the seat back. My DH is 6'4" and even my 9yo can't avoid touching her knees to the seat backs. I've just had to make peace with the fact that there is no way for us to follow that rule and move on.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC