Broke seatbelt installing seat :(

hrice

I was installing a Radian RF in my Yukon and asked DH to help tighten. Well he yanked the shoulder belt and the plastic covering over the buckle popped off! The belt also came unbuckled but I think the button pushed into the RN right after the cover busted.

So I guess I'm making a trip to the dealership tomorrow. The whole buckle should be replaced, right?

ADS

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
This happened to me while installing the Radian in my mom's car with BOTH seat belts. Let me know what they do.

hrice

I moved it center installed with SB. I hate the RN center in my Yukon because it over reclines. It's at about 40 degrees right now. My back has been killing me lately and I wanted Peyton outboard to make loading easier. He has been riding in his MA70. I switched it from the center seat to the OB seat to see if that helped me and it doesn't really since the MA70 sides are so high. So I thought I'd do the RN OB. So much for that!

smileybrea

CPS Technician
Had this happen in my Charger. The locking mechanism of the locking latchplate came off! I had to replace the whole seatbelt.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I broke both my outboard seat belts. I now use seats with lock offs outboard, or use latch.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The plastic came off of my center lap belt in my Xterra a few years ago. It still locked, so I still used it.

Wendy

hrice

Update:
The whole buckle assembly needs to be replaced and the dealer quoted me $180 for parts and labor. We don't have the $$ right nowso that will have to wait.

The buckle still works perfect so I snapped the cover back on and put a piece of tape around it. I don't know that I needed the tape since it was holding on really tight but I put it there anyway.

turtlemama

The passenger captains chair locking mechanism (just a chunk of plastic) came off a long time ago in my Pacifica. So I use LATCH or a locking clip for that side. It took me a good half hour trying to get the RN installed with the locking clip!

Keeanh

Are these locking latchplates? Is it just the plastic rectangle cover that's popping off? DH's middle lap belt plastic pops off sometimes. It spends more time on the floor than on the buckle, LOL. It's just cosmetic. If it's the little friction plate thing in the latchplate, I would look into finding a replacement for that. There's one in my van that popped out once (totally my fault, it didn't just happen spontaneously). I put it back in. But if it does it again, I'll swap it with the piece from the back driver's side seat that's been used maybe once ever with a carseat and should be in better shape.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC