Who has a non- US seat?

frugalmom

Looking at the seats the kids have in Norway makes me so jealous. Why can't we have those seats here?

It it illegal to have a non-US seat?

Who has one? What kind do you have?

Why do you have one?

What are the weight limits for RF for the non-US seats?

Oh and where did you get it?

ADS

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
They are not illegal to import or to own, but they're illegal to use in the US.

Sent from my EVO using Car-Seat.Org

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They are not illegal to import or to own, but they're illegal to use in the US.

Sent from my EVO using Car-Seat.Org

Yep. They're not illegal to buy or to own. Just to import for sale or to use to transport a child.

I have a child too large to rear-face in a US seat. I consider her too young to forward-face. (She outgrew the Radian rear-facing by height before 3 years old.) She's in a Swedish seat. Adventuredad is super-helpful with this kind of info, and has a website dedicated to shipping these seats all over the world, www.carseat.se

Now, that said, I do not encourage people to buy them. I'd not buy one just because they are "cool." I'd only buy one for a child with a special need requiring longer rear-facing than available in US seats, or who has outgrown all US seats available at an early age, myself.

Some rear-face to 40 lbs; some go to 55.

lil.miss32

Yep. They're not illegal to buy or to own. Just to import for sale or to use to transport a child.

I have a child too large to rear-face in a US seat. I consider her too young to forward-face. (She outgrew the Radian rear-facing by height before 3 years old.) She's in a Swedish seat. Adventuredad is super-helpful with this kind of info, and has a website dedicated to shipping these seats all over the world, www.carseat.se

Now, that said, I do not encourage people to buy them. I'd not buy one just because they are "cool." I'd only buy one for a child with a special need requiring longer rear-facing than available in US seats, or who has outgrown all US seats available at an early age, myself.

This. Michael rides in a Britax MultiTech. It RF's to 55lbs. I also didn't do it because it's "cool". I could spend $600 on other "cool" things. LOL

Elizabethie05

ketchupqueen said:

So you can own one but not use it for the purpose you bought it? We live in Italy right now. I was just curious as you said you were using a Swedish seat for your DD. I apologize if this seems rude. Just a bit confused.

bnsnyde

A bit off topic...

I read that Britax was made in the USA but the baby seat is certainly China. I kind of wanted it from the USA. Oh well.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It is not legal in any state to use a seat that has not been approved by NHTSA. Swedish and other foreign seats have not been approved by NHTSA; therefore, they cannot be used legally.

Some parents choose to use illegal seats, just like some people choose to download pirated music/movies, not report a little cash under the table to the IRS, or myriad other things.

jenfrogmom

I have a Multi Tech, it rear faces to 55 lbs. I don't own it to be "cool". My children tend to be on the large side, I like the fact that I can rear face my 4 year old or my 17 month old in the same seat.

I don't think everyone should run out and buy an imported seat, either.

Last edited:

gsdguenter

I own an MT but got it used from a momma here so I didn't pay full price.

I bought it cuz I wanted to and I think it is safer, IMHO (disclaimer:personal opinion). Yes, I know it isn't legal to use here, but I don't care.

I don't encourage others to import and as a tech I'd never tell anyone to use one, but as a mom if someone wants/needs one I'll encourage them to do the research themselves and give info if asked.

It's a parental decision I feel comfortable having made :)

Adventuredad is a great resource if you want more info.

We do have a lot of great seats that rf most kids to 3-4 yrs.+ here so I'd encourage people to use those unless they make the decision to import.

It's a hot/sensitive topic here. You need to understand all the risks and benefits before jumping to any conclusions and then as a parent you do what works for your family once you feel fully informed. My two cents anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I want to add that in some states, like mine, you can get a doctor's note which makes it legal. I haven't done it yet but will at some point.

Elizabethie05

Makes sense now. I could care less whether someone uses an illegal seat as long as it is safer to do so. I find it amusing however that so families over here find it ok to drive at high speeds with the babies either walking around the car or sitting in the parents lap in the front. Makes me cringe every time!

KaiLing

I have a MT for my giant boy who just just outgrew his Radian XT (40 lbs RF limit) at 2 and a half. I would never recommend them to anyone with normal sized kids or to anyone who is comfortable RF to the minimum. This was a big purchase for us, but it's coming out of the mental health budget because I would be an absolute wreck FF my only child at under 3 and a half or 4. I know I'm different than most Americans and I'm 100% willing to take the ticket if some (weird) police officer wants to write me one.

moonmommy

Senior Community Member
I most likely will import a Multi Tech when my son gets close to the 40 lb RF weight limit of his SKR XT. I have been looking into importing for about 2 years, so I am not taking this choice lightly. We lost our first 2 babies, and we absolutely could not handle losing our only living child. The thought of forward facing him terrifies the daylights out of me. A Multi Tech would probably keep him rear facing to around age 6 at his current growth trend. I wish I could keep him RF until he starts driving! If I didn't know as much as I do about car seats I probably would not consider importing, and I'll likely do more research before I finally do import.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC