Radian straps on neck

bnsnyde

Anything I can do about the straps on my 5-year-old's neck? XTSL.
After he rides in the seat he has red marks!
The straps are above his shoulders FF, but not too much above. Perhaps slightly above the "at" line.

We have the new and old style harness covers. They don't solve the problem at all. Is this just the fit of this seat? In a crash what would happen?
I like the fit where they are more by the bony part of his shoulders, like in other seats.

I am not going to change his seat yet but figured if there is some trick, I ought to know what it is. If it's actually a feature, then I'm fine with it. The neck just seems like a vulnerable area.

ADS

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
They're not going to cause serious injury in a crash, though he'll likely get "burns" from them. Have you tried him without the covers? Maybe the extra bulk is what's causing the marks. Try pulling his shirt up between his neck and the straps.

Sent from my EVO using Car-Seat.Org

cookie123

I usually pull the shirt up if it's a problem. I don't use harness covers. I've noticed a red mark on Matthew occasionally from the Radian. He never complains.

hunypooh77

I know its a huge no no but I got these really thin soft covers for dd, she didnt like the thick bulky ones that came with the seat those ones irritated her neck. I figured that if the seat came with those big thick ones it couldnt hurt to get thin soft fabric ones, theyre not really even padded at all.....:eek: but I couldnt let dd ride with no covers because she complained

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Anything I can do about the straps on my 5-year-old's neck? XTSL.
After he rides in the seat he has red marks!
The straps are above his shoulders FF, but not too much above. Perhaps slightly above the "at" line.

Watch how long the marks last. My OT/PT friends always say "20 minutes" for a "mark" left by an AFO, wrist brace, or other support/positioning device. If it doesn't fade or completely go away, THEN you need to be concerned/take action. As long as they go away and don't further damage the skin, there's no need to worry.

We get 'marks' on our skin ALL the time from socks, belts, elastic cuffs, sitting/sleeping on a seam or wrinkle, etc.

mlohry

Can you put cut open socks on the straps, that's what we did this Summer with our MA 70, now that DD wears a lot of sleeveless dresses and tops, her neck was getting red. I hate the huge bulky covers the seat comes with. The socks are super thin like a shirt.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC