Question Toyota Tacoma Xcab two seats?

G

Gnarlie

I've heard that it's against California law to have a child's carseat behind the driver side. I can't find evidence of this and am wondering if any here know more than I? If it's not allowed, is it ok to put one in the front seat? There is no bench, and not a lot of room behind the driver anyway.
Any help is appreciated!

ADS

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
If the truck only has side-facing jumpseats (is that what you meant by "no bench"?), then the carseat cannot be installed in back. If you need to use the front seat, move the seat all the way back and turn off the airbag if possible. NEVER put a rear-facing seat in the front with an active airbag.

xursusmaritimusx

If the truck only has side-facing jumpseats (is that what you meant by "no bench"?), then the carseat cannot be installed in back. If you need to use the front seat, move the seat all the way back and turn off the airbag if possible. NEVER put a rear-facing seat in the front with an active airbag.

she was talking about the front...

that truck doesnt have jump seats but as another poster stated, the seats are very tiny "front to back"

newer models have a lil flip down that makes the seat base larger for installing car seats on.

FIL drives a 2009.
car seat installation is challenging

i havent been able to install a RF seat behind the driver but have had no problems on the passenger side. front passenger (as long as they arent too tall) can still ride safely.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
newer models have a lil flip down that makes the seat base larger for installing car seats on.

According to the Chicco rep, those seats are not compatible because they have no cushioning, no give, and there's a specific amount of give that's required by FMVSS213. So if that's correct, then NO carseat is tested for those fold out backseats, and the front seat is the only place for a carseat or booster.

Wendy

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I remember the Chicco rep mentioning that so far, there was only one vehicle she found to be incompatible with the KeyFit (and although I couldn't have told you what it was off the top of my head, I think it was the Tacoma).

However, the reason was because it couldn't install at the proper angle, probably due to a lack of give. I would think that other seats might install just fine (especially with noodles, etc.) I wasn't aware there was any amount of cushioning/give required in FMVSS 213.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Here's her email to me.

"No, we do not allow that install. When a parent calls with a Tacoma, here's my response:
Its rear seat is simply not compatible. Car seats are designed for and crash tested on a cushioned vehicle seat with a slope of 15 degrees from horizontal, as outlined in Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 213.

We do not recommend installing the car seat in the back of that vehicle. I recommend that the vehicle only be used as a last resort. If it must be used, install the car seat in the front seat with the front seat moved all the way back and the air bag turned OFF. It is imperative that the air bag is turned OFF, so it will not injure the child.

Feel free to email me again if you have any questions or would like to discuss this further.

That seat is simply too hard and flat. No car seat is tested that way."

With a base the Keyfit was overreclined. So I was emailing her about a baseless install, which had less than 1" of movement and the appropriate angle for a newborn.

Wendy

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
wendytthomas said:
"No, we do not allow that install. When a parent calls with a Tacoma, here's my response:
Its rear seat is simply not compatible. Car seats are designed for and crash tested on a cushioned vehicle seat with a slope of 15 degrees from horizontal, as outlined in Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 213.

Well...ok. Obviously the bench is standard. But by that logic, wouldn't the seat be incompatible with any backseat with a slope other than 15 degrees and a different amount of padding?

I'm not arguing that the KeyFit doesn't work, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable extending that to other seats.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I believe that 15 degrees is as installed, not the normal slope (otherwise my Xterra would never have worked with anything), but I'm not sure. However, requiring any slope and cushioning, whatever the number is, pretty much means that no carseat has been tested on those backseats (have you seen them? They're a table).

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
hmmm well the manual shows you how to flip the seats down for car seat installation... so i dont know. i'd assume they passed testing?

Toyota is ok with it. Which is why I installed the seat back there. There's even LATCH behind the passenger. However, Chicco is not. Just take this with a grain of salt. Something I learned about FMVSS213 which made me wonder if any carseat will work back there.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC