How wide is your 10-13 year old?

Pixels

I'm trying to think ahead. How much room would your tween take up if they were sitting in a RSTV/86-Y/similar and between two carseats?

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I woudn't assume that a 10-13 year old would NEED a vest or whatever...some are going to meet the 5 step test. Unless you have a certain kid in mind that you know WILL need one.
Anyway, I just went and measured the 13 yo...(what? why do you want to measure my butt?? 8-0) and his width is about 17 inches. He is also about 5 foot 10 and 135 pounds. He was about the same size last year at age 12, maybe a tad lighter and a couple inches shorter...His older brother the now-15 yo was the exact size same at the same age. They are tall and *slender/thin* not heavy or built big at all. For reference, Kate, who is 6 and about 50 lbs, an average - to - slightly sturdy build, is about 11 inches wide. So.. IMO, for most 10-13 yos, you'd want probably 12-16 inches......depending of course on build and weight, etc.

Pixels

I woudn't assume that a 10-13 year old would NEED a vest or whatever...some are going to meet the 5 step test. Unless you have a certain kid in mind that you know WILL need one.

Good point, but still need to smash kid between two seats. Size is the same. :)

ginny4

IDK but neither of my 2 kids that are 11 & 12 yo fit in a regent width wise nor the monterey.

as far as stats (if i recall) they are built rather differently......12 yo is 5'7.5" & 130 tall & slender-ish compared to his brother who is 5'4" & 120lbs. thicker build all around.

i don't think i can convince them to measure their butt. lol

christineka

It depends on your kid's body and all that. They are all different. I recently measured my 11 and nearly 10 yo's butts to see if they could fit in the nania booster. Their butts are 10 inches wide. Then again, my kids probably will never pass the 5 step test.

ginny4

i measured their shoulder width
12yo is 17" going through puberty
11yo is 16" i was surprised by it......i thought they'd be alot closer in shoulder width since he looks wider thanhis brother. he hasn't even started puberty yet

luckyclov

I'm kinda the size of a tweener. My shoulder width is 13 1/2". I believe I've completed puberty.

Sorry, not releasing the butt measurement.

cmm7

I am going to have S between 2 seats starting this week since the top tether was finally put in for the 86Y. I will take a picture and let you know if she complains at all.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Crap, I measured my kids' butts before seeing the part about shoulder width. :D (Ricky says "Awwwkward...")

For hip-room, my teeny almost-11yo would need 11 inches, maybe could get away with 10. My good-sized 13yo would need 13.

Shoulders - 11yo needs 12 inches, 13yo needs 16. (And holy carp, clov, your shoulders are barely wider than Macha's!)

Last edited:

luckyclov

There's a good chance I may have done it wrong because I can't see myself being approx. the same size as a teeny 11-year old.

What IS the proper way to measure shoulder width?:eek:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
What IS the proper way to measure shoulder width?:eek:

LOL I have no idea! I had her stand facing away from me, and then had her brother place both of his hands flat against her upper arms so I could measure between them.

luckyclov

1 - I did the measurement myself and 2 - it was the front side, which is probably a tad narrower due to the natural "curve in" of the shoulders.

So, my measurement isn't reliable because my common sense was on lunchbreak...but I tried.:p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC