Question Who prefers the classic britax over the next gen?

lovemybabies924

I love the look and feel of the newer britax seats, but the classics seam to puzzle better in my car, what's your preference? Just for fun!

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

ADS

bnsnyde

If the shell were even an inch taller it would not fit perfectly with our setup, so I like the new ones. :)
And the Safe-Cell was a huge sell.
Not sure how weights changed but I need 40RF with my big guys.

christineka

I like the old ones because they are taller. The new one's headrest seems really flimsy. My 6 yo dd loves sitting way up high in her "throne". The safe cell and the lower seat is probably safer, though.

luckyclov

The TC stuff with the FF convertibles made me a little antsy, so based on that alone, I'd have to go with Next Gen.

LuvMyCharlie

I like the old ones because they are taller. The new one's headrest seems really flimsy. .

This is me. I still have my classic MA. It was my very first carseat purchase and the only one that's stayed in my house through 20+ other seats. :eek: I'll keep it until it expires in two years. And you can't beat all the fabulous Couture covers. :love:

christineka

And you can't beat all the fabulous Couture covers. :love:

How I wish I had the funds. I'd buy about 50 covers and change covers on the seat each week. I'm planning for the price of these covers to drop dramatically in a few years, so if I'm patient I should be able to acquire a bunch of them. In my dreams anyway...

AnnieW625

I liked the belt lockoff on the older ones better, and I also liked the fabrics they had better (more plush options), but overall I like the size of the newer seats better. I haven't tried it but I am 99.9% sure I can get our BLVD 70 in the back seat of our super small 01 Corolla where as we couldn't fit our Marathon 65 in the back seat rear facing at all.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I have both...classic MA and new BV70. The MA is in my closet. The BV is in my car. I have no issue with the MA...but I adore my BV. And I couldn't say that about the original BV. I HATED it with a purple passion. I was worried about buying the new one, but it is hands down superior to the original. And with my short chunker, weight is more important than height....though I really don't feel we lost any height.

teekadog

I like everything about the new ones EXCEPT that they're smaller. And that was a deal breaker for me. My first two kids were in classic Marathons until age 5, but I couldn't squeeze my >30lb 3yo into the new gen (rfing, which was important to me) so I had to buy a Radian.

Heather86

I love the base and the safe cell of the new generation. But the size,covers,and lock offs of the old generation.

Phineasmama

I guess I would have to say I like the new gen better, the only thing I like more about the classic is that it's a little easier to buckle and get a bigger kid in and out. When I put my 2yo in the MA70 I really have to dig for the straps!

msg221

What is TC stuff?

I believe it refers to Transport Canada and some testing on the Britax seats.

I had the older BLVD and now I have a MA70. I like that it sits lower and that I have more room front to back. The shorter shell hasn't been an issue because Nour is so tiny that she still fits fine RF and she is 3 years and 1 month and still has room to grow (she only weighs about 27-28 lbs).

My stepdaughter may be buying my MA70 to give to her friend's sister but I am now having reservations about selling it! I was planning to just use the TFP but now I am not so sure! Oh, and yesterday was the first time I ever tried installing it in my vehicle using the seatbelt and lockoffs and I couldn't believe how easy it was! I swear I think I got it installed faster than when I use LATCH!

zactayaus

I love our classic MA's! I have a new gen RA55 but it's so hard to get my big 2yo in it RF'ing because of the taller sides and it's almost impossible to buckle him in with the lack of leg room.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have no great love either way. I will say that I flipped a MA70 back from forward- to rear-facing this afternoon, and I loved not having to switch the LATCH straps!

Also, I was able to have it at a 35 degree angle, in a RAV4 (notorious for horrible back-seat room) and have the front seat ALL the way back without touching the car seat!

miraclebabies

I love.. love.. love my classic Marathons. I have three (1 for each kid) and I like the ease of installing them in any vehicle, they fit really well in my suv. I've played with a newer style britax and wasn't impressed with the headrest, it looked cheap to me.
One dislike is the lake of legroom rf but it's something I've gotten used to and isn't such a negative I'm going to sell them.

tiggercat

I like my classic MA as a RF seat, but like others was concerned by the FF issues in the TC tests. Mine has a 30lb RF limit so our time with it is getting close to the end, and it makes me sad! I won't use it FF.
I don't like installing the new gen seats with the lock offs, but UAS installs are fine. I haven't used a new gen for daily use yet, though I have one in the basement to play with occasionally. Lol

cpsaddict

I have both and it's a toss up usually, but I really love the new generation. I think the height difference is way overstated, as DD has nearly the same amount of headroom in both and she is not a small kid by any means. She fits comfortably rearfacing in the new generation(too heavy for the old one rf) and I have no issues getting her in. The harness adjuster on the new one is soooo much smoother and I love not having to switch the LATCH connectors. I also just did a lockoff install and those worked fine, too. I thonk I like the looks of the old generation a bit better, but overall, they are both great seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC