Need some advice...

Leila

My four year old takes a non-bus bus (handicap van and 15 passenger van) to and from school everyday. At the beginning of the school year, I requested (via phone and in writing) that D be in a seat that harnesses above 40lbs (he's 53lbs). Initially, the director of the special ed bussing insisted that there were no seats that harness that high, even after I named several. Eventually, he relented and told me they'd find him a seat. I chose to take him at his word and assumed that his seat was good for 40+ lbs with the harness...until Monday that is.

DH was home to pick up the rent check when the bus came, and he watched the aide buckle D into his seat. As she sat down, he knocked on her window and asked that the chest clip be moved up to his actual chest. It was at his belly button. Lucky us, that touched off a bit of a storm later that day. The driver complained to the teacher who then complained to me. The driver claims the clip was in the right place and that moving it higher would have choked D. Ok, whatever. Fast forward to yesterday. I decided that I should check out this seat and found that it only harnesses to 40lbs!!!!! :thumbsdown: They kept insisting that it was no big deal that he was fine, blah, blah, blah. Even after explaining about force in a crash, they were just adamant that he would be fine. I removed him from the seat (some crappy little Cosco deal) and put him in the Summit, using it as a BPB.

Anyway, against my better judgement, I sent him to school with these ignoramuses. He was fine, but he gave D's teacher quite the load of bunk when he got there. Then, the afternoon driver refused to use the BPB option for the Summit he has because, "It won't be secured to the seat!" :eek: :eek: OMG...

Also, the little boy who gets picked up right before D was in a dedicated booster...but the seatbelt was going across his neck. I know I can't adjust it, but it was driving me nuts. This boy is over 40lbs, but he's on the shorter side. Sigh...

Anyway, what would you all do? DH, while upset, thinks I should just let it go. School does end a week from tomorrow and D's only going in for four more days (Thurs, Tues, Wed, Thurs). He's going back next year though, he has one more year of early childhood left. I don't drive at all, so me transporting him isn't an option. DH is at work most days when D leaves for school, so he can't drive him in either.

I guess I'm just afraid that my complaints and concerns will fall on deaf ears. These kids are all developmentally disabled, some non-verbal, so they can't always say, "Hey, you're doing that wrong."

Help!!!!

ADS

didymama

please bring this to the attention of upper management. this is an attrocity. this is also stern neglect on their part especially since you are dealing with DD children. talk to you districts director of pupil services for the schools. also the superintendent. there is also a separate branch of DCF usually that deals with special needs kids if i remember correctly.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Personally, I'd write the head of the school & head of transportation + your state CPST coordinator and/or local SafeKids contact + the media: there is *no* excuse for people who are being paid to look after the wellbeing of your child to not only disregard your parental wishes, but to complain about it (especially when those complaints are fatally incorect) -- do they not undersand that they are liable for any injury to your child? Not to mention the statistical risk of injury in the 1st place.... Furthermore, if at all possible, I would either drive kiddo myself or even withdraw kiddo from the program altogether if necessary.

Last edited:

Melizerd

I would write a letter. Not only should they be doing what is safest but you specifically requested it.

mommycat

Complain complain complain. Get the media involved if necessary. Try to arrange for DH to drive DS to school for the 4 days left of the term and then get some changes made before the next term starts. That is ridiculous that they will lie to you, complain when you show concern, and use seats SOOO improperly and without any understanding of how they work. :mad:

arly1983

Unfortuntly, this is the case in the area I live in....the kids were all in backless boosters and no one could understand why I was upset....

Thank goodness, though, I have been able to make arrangments to have DS droped off by MIL and picked up by DH...

Leila

Thanks for the advice! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this needs to be reported. I'm traveling this weekend, so I'll be writing letters while I'm in the air.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC