Wearing baby

Laryn41

I guess since the Quattro duo is out is there a specific carrier you all recommend for a newborn and up? I guess I will be taking my Maclaren everywhere I go.

ADS

T4K

I love stretchy wraps (like the Moby) for the itty bitty stage. After that I love soft structured carriers like the Ergo or Beco. I believe the Beco comes with an infant insert so that would a good one to start with if you only want one.

r0ckaby3

I have picked up a pouch sling, ring sling, and a Nana's Jetpak (similar to an Ergo or Beco) over the years via Target clearance and craigslist. My first loved the ring sling, my second the pouch and jetpak. I also have a homemade wrap that both boys loved to be in. It's nice to have a couple choices if your budget allows (or if you are able to sew!). http://thebabywearer.com/ has a lot of great information.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I LOVED the SleepyWrap (like a moby but I liked the fabric better) when DS was tiny. Then I moved on to a ring sling (my trusty Maya wrap). I also used a 4 gen beco (different from the ones now) for about a month on, with his feet froggied inside. I didn't have a stroller for him until he was 4 or 5 months (when he was big enough for the BOB). I very rarely if ever carried the bucket seat either.

mama2girls

I really liked my Pikkolo for a newborn. The only disadvantage is it doesn't have a padded waist like the Ergo and Beco, but I actually preferred that. It fit my newborn well without an insert and I thought it was really comfy. A Beco is a great carrier too for little ones too; if I was having another baby I would really want to check out the Beco Gemini. Otherwise I used a stretchy wrap at home. Wrapping takes time to learn but it is so easy and comfortable once you get used to it. DD2 practically lived in a wrap for the 1st two months of her life.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I highly recommend a woven wrap from birth because it works at all stages of babywearing and it's safe to use for back carries where a stretchy wrap like a Moby is not safe for back carries.

lovemybabies924

Moby then ergo or babyhawk, but with my back problems ergo all the way! And when they out grow the ergo then a toddlerhawk

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm a big fan of ring slings and mei tais, and they work for newborns through toddlerhood. Ring slings are especially good for adjusting on the go, which is great for nursing.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I'm a big fan of ring slings and mei tais, and they work for newborns through toddlerhood. Ring slings are especially good for adjusting on the go, which is great for nursing.

This.

I really like my ring sling for early on before babe has head control. I can't wear them for long periods after about 10lbs, but by then my kids have good control and are perfect in the Beco alone. I like wraps, but honestly they aren't perfect for everyday until you are well versed. I love that with the ring sling and the beco there aren't any straps in danger or mud, water, oil, or yuck while trying to put on baby. I like my mei tais too. It was easier to keep the "tails" in the car and off the ground.

Hmm.. Maybe off to look at a new mei tai. :whistle:

krobbin2

I agree with others - the Moby (or similar) is awesome for a newborn, then I got a boba carrier when DD was 6m old. I believe someone here posted a sale (http://www.greencupboards.com/boba-classic-baby-carrier.html) for one. I wanted a beco, but at those prices - :eek:

I'm really glad I got it, I don't regret the purchase at all. I also own a ring sling (DD hated it and it hurts my back/shoulders after a bit) and a Baby Bjorn (fine for a newborn, but trust me, you don't want anything more than like 10-13lbs in one of these, they are NOT ergonomic - can't speak for the new 'fancy' ones, I just had the original).

Carrying DD on my back was the most important thing, and this carrier makes it really easy to do. I can wear her for hours without pain, the only negative is that your baby needs to be +6m old before use (an maybe that the sale one isn't organic). A bonus - it also has foot holds to properly support your toddler's legs.

Last edited:

Laryn41

I have a mei tai and i really like it. I never used when my daugter was a newborn though. I thought about a peanut shell sling but then I heard a terrrible story about a newborn in a sling (think it was a infatino or something) and how the baby couldnt breath. So slings are making me nervous. Are slings that dangerous?

monica-m

CPST Instructor
You are referring to the Infantino SlingRider which was a bag sling. It was basically a baby size duffel bag with a strap to go around the parent. Bag slings are dangerous for littles because they can position baby with his chin on his chest which can cause positional asphyxiation. The same thing can happen if baby is left in a bucket car seat for too long at an upright angle. It is perfectly safe to wear a newborn if you follow the rules of safe babywearing:

1. Newborns should always be positioned to where their airway is clear in a semi upright position.
2. Baby's head should be up high enough that you can bend your neck and kiss the top without having to lift him.

Personally, I think it is best to wear newborns upright against your chest or shoulder. You can do this with either a ring sling or a wrap of some kind. There are Mei Tais and soft structured carriers that you can do this with but I don't have experience with them. It is perfectly safe and is very healthy for both you and baby for baby to be worn from birth.

Laryn41

Any particular ringsling that you suggest. i think Peanut shell does have a ring sling. So does petunia picklebottom.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I own a Hava ring sling. It is moderately padded and I really like it. thebabywearer.com is a great place to register and check out. Even if you never post, you can learn so much by spending some time browsing their forums. TBW is where I picked up my woven wrap addiction, I have learned so much from there.

ETA: Where do you live? There are lots of babywearing groups out there and if you have one local to you then you could try out different babywearing devices before you buy.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC